How to Calculate the Mass of a Pyramid Using Triple Integrals?

In summary, the conversation involves finding the mass of a pyramid with a given density and base in the plane z=9. The sides of the pyramid are formed by three planes, and the integral is set up incorrectly at first. The conversation also includes a suggestion to draw a sketch and use the "shadow method" to better understand the problem.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Find the mass m of the pyramid with base in the plane z = 9 and sides formed by the three planes y = 0 and y - x = 5 and 6x + y + z = 28, if the density of the solid is given by δ(x,y,z) = y.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is driving me insane. It takes me about 45 minutes of algebra to evaluate this incorrectly set up integral..

I integrated y in the order dz dy dx, limits, respectively:

9 to 28-6x-y
0 to 5+x
0 to 2

Is that correct? I don't really know how to get the limits for x.. this is so hard to picture in my mind!

To get 2, I solved the system 6x + y + z = 28 with z = 9 and y = 5 + x, and for 0, I just guessed.

Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
May I suggest that you draw a sketch and get a clear grip on the limits before you try to evaluate anything.

Well, that's what I'm trying to do..

I drew it again, the only thing different is that my order is dzdxdy.

I don't understand how to picture these things, it's very difficult.. I just drew an xy plane noting that z = 9 for the base, and looked at that. What would you do?

I think this is far beyond me.

Nevermind, found a good explanation online of something called the "shadow method."

Have you figured out it gets tricky if you use any order of integration other than dzdxdy?

Related to How to Calculate the Mass of a Pyramid Using Triple Integrals?

1. What is mass using triple integrals?

Mass using triple integrals is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the total mass of an object by dividing it into infinitesimally small pieces and summing up the masses of each piece using triple integrals.

2. Why do we use triple integrals for calculating mass?

Triple integrals are used for calculating mass because they allow us to take into account the variation of mass density over three dimensions, which is necessary for accurately calculating the total mass of an object.

3. How do you set up a triple integral for calculating mass?

To set up a triple integral for calculating mass, you must first define the boundaries of the object in three-dimensional space. Then, you must determine the mass density function and integrate it over the defined boundaries using the triple integral formula.

4. Can triple integrals be used for irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, triple integrals can be used for irregularly shaped objects as long as the boundaries and mass density function can be defined for the object in three-dimensional space.

5. What are the units of mass when using triple integrals?

The units of mass when using triple integrals are typically in kilograms (kg), but they can vary depending on the units used for the boundaries and mass density function.