How to Calculate the Magnetic Field Strength of a Pulsar?

In summary, using a dipole expression for B(r) and a single value for magnetic moment may not give an accurate result for the magnetic field strength of a pulsar.
florian101
hay
I need the following expression

B^2V

of a pulsar. B is the magnetic field and V is the volume. I can do this in a strong approximation with B = 10^8T and v = 10km but I would like to do it properly. Therefore I choose the magnetic field of a dipol

B(r) = mu_0/(4*pi*r^3) (3*r(r*m) - m)

where m is the vector magnetic moment and r is the unit vector in r-direction. mu_0 is the permeability of free space = 1.2566 10^-6 H/m.
Now I have several problems... first of all the magnetic moment m what is the magnetic moment of a pulsar? I did the following:

mu_0*m/(4pi*r^3) = B_max/2

(the equation is a self made approximation and comes with no warranty) with B_max approximately 10^8T I get 10^19 m^2A. Is this correct?

To calculate the term B^2V I suppose I have to integrate B^2 over the Volume in spherical coordinates.

B^2V = int^r_0 int^2pi_0 int^pi_0 r^2 sin(theta) B(r)^2 dr d phi d theta
= int^r_0 int^2pi_0 r^2 4pi B(r)^2 dr d theta

with B(r) from above... is this correct?
thank you very much for any comments or corrections
florian

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Based on your post, it seems like you are trying to calculate the magnetic field strength of a pulsar using its magnetic moment and volume. However, there are a few things to consider before using this expression.

Firstly, the magnetic field of a pulsar is not a simple dipole field. Pulsars have much more complex magnetic field structures, including multiple poles and strong currents. Therefore, using the dipole expression for B(r) may not accurately reflect the true magnetic field strength of a pulsar.

Secondly, the magnetic moment of a pulsar is not a well-defined quantity. It is constantly changing due to the pulsar's rotation and emission of electromagnetic radiation. Therefore, calculating the magnetic moment using a single value of B_max may not be accurate.

Finally, integrating B^2 over the volume assumes that the magnetic field is constant throughout the volume, which may not be the case for a pulsar.

To accurately calculate the magnetic field strength of a pulsar, a more complex and detailed model is needed, taking into account the pulsar's unique magnetic field structure and changing properties.

Related to How to Calculate the Magnetic Field Strength of a Pulsar?

1. What is a pulsar?

A pulsar is a highly magnetized, rotating neutron star that emits beams of electromagnetic radiation along its magnetic axis. It is formed when a massive star undergoes a supernova explosion and leaves behind a small, dense core.

2. How is the magnetic field of a pulsar created?

The intense magnetic field of a pulsar is created during the supernova explosion that forms it. As the core collapses, its magnetic field becomes compressed and amplified, resulting in a field that is trillions of times stronger than the Earth's.

3. What causes the pulsating signal of a pulsar?

The pulsating signal of a pulsar is caused by its rapid rotation and strong magnetic field. As the rotating beams of radiation sweep across Earth's line of sight, they appear as regular pulses of light.

4. How do scientists study the magnetic field of a pulsar?

Scientists study the magnetic field of a pulsar by analyzing the polarization of the pulsar's electromagnetic radiation. By measuring the orientation and strength of the polarized light, they can infer information about the pulsar's magnetic field.

5. What is the importance of understanding the magnetic field of a pulsar?

Understanding the magnetic field of a pulsar is important for several reasons. It provides insights into the structure and evolution of these enigmatic objects and can also help us understand the behavior of matter under extreme conditions. Additionally, pulsars are used as natural laboratories for testing theories of gravity and studying the properties of the interstellar medium.