How to Calculate the Indefinite Integral of a Complex Function?

In summary: So $\displaystyle I = \frac{2}{5}\cdot \frac{1}{x^5}\cdot \left(x^6+x^{4}+x^{-4}\right)^{\frac{5}{4}}+\mathcal{C} = \frac{2\left(x^{10}+x^8+1\right)^{\frac{5}{4}}}{5x^5}+\mathcal{C}$Hence Proved
juantheron
Calculation of $\displaystyle \int \frac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x^6}\cdot \left(3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2\right)dx$

$\bf{My\; Try::}

$ Given $\displaystyle \int \frac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x^6}\cdot \left(3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2\right)dx = \int\frac{\sqrt{x^6+x^4+x^{-4}}}{x^5}\cdot \left(3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2\right)dx$

Now How can I calculate after that

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
Calculation of $\displaystyle \int \frac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x^6}\cdot \left(3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2\right)dx$

$\bf{My\; Try::}

$ Given $\displaystyle \int \frac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x^6}\cdot \left(3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2\right)dx = \int\frac{\sqrt{x^6+x^4+x^{-4}}}{x^5}\cdot \left(3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2\right)dx$

Now How can I calculate after that

thanks

The easiest way to proceed would be to simplify the integrand by dividing each term by $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x^6 \end{align*}$ (remember that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt[4]{x^{10}} = x^{\frac{10}{4}} = x^{\frac{5}{2}} \end{align*}$), and then expanding the brackets. Each term can then be integrated using the power rule.

Hi jacks,

You've no idea how much I like this problem! It is like one of the most delicious problems that I've seen this year! Thank you for bringing this problem up here so that we can have a stab at it and at the same time, enjoy it to the fullest!

One way of approaching this problem is to use the substitution technique. But the hardest part is to decide which part of the integrand should be replaced by the substitution.

We also know we can't simply let $u=\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}$ because it will give us $\dfrac{du}{dx}=\dfrac{x^7(5x^2+4)}{2(x^{10}+x^8+1)^{3/4}}$, and it gives us more a headache integrand, that complicated the problem even more.

So, we need some u substitution that after differentiation is done, we would get something like $\dfrac{du}{dx}=\dfrac{3x^{10}+2x^8-2}{?}$, and our next trial is to let

$u=\dfrac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x}$, and notice that

1. after differentiation, we get $\dfrac{du}{dx}=\dfrac{3x^{10}+2x^8-2}{2x^2(x^{10}+x^8+1)^{\dfrac{3}{4}}}$, or $dx=\dfrac{2x^2((x^{10}+x^8+1)^{\dfrac{3}{4}})}{3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2}$

2. $(x^{10}+x^8+1)^{\dfrac{3}{4}}=u^3x^3$$\begin{align*}\therefore \int \frac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x^6}\cdot \left(3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2\right)dx&=\int \frac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x}\cdot \left(\dfrac{3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2}{x^5}\right)dx\\&=\int u\cdot \left(\dfrac{3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2}{x^5}\right) \dfrac{2x^2((x^{10}+x^8+1)^{\dfrac{3}{4}})}{3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2}du\\&=\int \dfrac{2u(u^3x^3)}{x^3} du\\&=\int 2u^4 du\\&=\dfrac{2u^5}{5}+C\\&=\dfrac{2\left(\dfrac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x}\right)^5}{5}\\&=\dfrac{2(x^{10}+x^8+1)^{\dfrac{5}{4}}}{5x^5}\end{align*}$

Honestly speaking, the choice of the substitution of $u=\dfrac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x}$ is my 5th or 6th trial.

jacks said:

Thanks anemone and prove it. Now i have got it.

My Solution::

Given $\displaystyle \int \frac{\sqrt[4]{x^{10}+x^8+1}}{x^6}\cdot \left(3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2\right)dx= \int\frac{\sqrt[4]{x^6+x^4+x^{-4}}}{x^5}\cdot \left(3x^{10}+2x^{8}-2\right)dx$So Integral is $\displaystyle \int \sqrt[4]{x^6+x^{4}+x^{-4}}\cdot \left(3x^5+2x^3-2x^{-5}\right)dx$

Now Let $\left(x^6+x^{4}+x{-4}\right) = t^4\;\;,$ Then $\displaystyle \left(3x^5+2x^3-2x^{-5}\right)dx = 2t^3dt$

So Integral is $\displaystyle I = 2\int t^4dt = \frac{2}{5}t^5+\mathcal{C} = \frac{2}{5}\left(x^6+x^{4}+x^{-4}\right)^{\frac{5}{4}}+\mathcal{C}$

Related to How to Calculate the Indefinite Integral of a Complex Function?

What is indefinite integration?

Indefinite integration, also known as antiderivative, is the process of finding a function that differentiates to a given function. It involves finding a general solution to a differential equation without any specific initial conditions.

What is the difference between indefinite integration and definite integration?

The main difference between indefinite integration and definite integration is that indefinite integration results in a general solution while definite integration results in a specific value. Indefinite integration involves finding the antiderivative of a function, while definite integration involves finding the area under a curve between two specified points.

What is the notation used for indefinite integration?

The notation used for indefinite integration is the integral symbol (∫) followed by the function to be integrated and an arbitrary constant of integration (C). For example, the indefinite integral of f(x) would be written as ∫f(x)dx + C.

What are the basic rules for solving indefinite integrals?

The basic rules for solving indefinite integrals include the power rule, where the integral of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1), and the constant multiple rule, where the integral of cf(x) is c times the integral of f(x). Other rules include the sum/difference rule, substitution rule, and integration by parts.

What are some common techniques for solving indefinite integrals?

Some common techniques for solving indefinite integrals include recognizing patterns and using appropriate substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and calculus concepts to effectively solve indefinite integrals.