How to calculate the force between magnets?

In summary, the conversation discusses the force between two poles of a bar magnet and how it is affected by the shape and size of the magnets. The formula for calculating the force is also mentioned, along with the concept of integrating the Maxwell stress tensor to find the total force on an object. The conversation concludes with a mention of the complexity of this calculation and its relation to mathematics.
ZecronTech
For example at the surface of both magnets, the field strength is 1.5Tesla. Suppose the top magnet plus the weight it's supporting is 1 Newton, what is the height that I need to separate both magnets of like facing poles so that the top magnet hovers?

Physics news on Phys.org
ZecronTech said:
For example at the surface of both magnets, the field strength is 1.5Tesla. Suppose the top magnet plus the weight it's supporting is 1 Newton, what is the height that I need to separate both magnets of like facing poles so that the top magnet hovers?

Hint: The magnetic field B by a given pole of a bar magnet at a point (assume unit north pole) r cm away from its centre is given by,

B= (μoqm/4π(r-l)2)

Where qm is the pole strength of bar magnet. l is the "half length" of the bar magnet.

Hence classically the force between two poles of bar magnet is defined by F = Bqm. This formula is valid if the poles are mere points.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
sankalpmittal said:
Hence classically the force between two poles of bar magnet is defined by F = Bqm. This formula is valid if the poles are mere points.

So what if the poles aren't points like in the example that I gave. Suppose the magnets facing each other are circular. Would the difference between points and a circle area of 3cm2 be significant? If so, then how would you calculate it? (Forgive me if this post was already answered. I used the search function and came up with nothing related to this situation).

What about intregrating the differential forces between differential areas on each magnet? Would it work? Do you know what I mean?

ThomasO said:
What about intregrating the differential forces between differential areas on each magnet? Would it work? Do you know what I mean?

Yup I was also thinking the same, although I don't know how to do it. It's a bit above my math level.

Related to How to calculate the force between magnets?

1. How do you calculate the force between two magnets?

The force between two magnets can be calculated using the equation F = (μ0 * m1 * m2)/(4π * d^2), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, m1 and m2 are the strengths of the two magnets, and d is the distance between them.

2. What is the unit of force in magnetism?

The unit of force in magnetism is typically measured in Newtons (N) or dynes (dyn).

3. How does the strength of a magnet affect its force?

The strength of a magnet is directly proportional to the force it exerts. This means that the stronger the magnet, the greater the force it will exert on other magnets.

4. Can the force between magnets be attractive or repulsive?

The force between magnets can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the orientation of the magnets. Like poles (north to north or south to south) will repel each other, while opposite poles (north to south) will attract.

5. How does the distance between magnets affect the force?

The force between magnets is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between magnets increases, the force decreases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force increases.