How to Calculate the Angle Between a Vector and the Z-Axis?

In summary: If you put the vector vector r on the table and drew a line from the origin through the vector r, the angle between that line and the z axis is the angle between the vector r and the positive z axis.
B-80
[SOLVED] Finding the angle in a vector

hey these are normally easy, but I keep getting this wrong
Here are three displacements, each in meters: d1 = 5.0 i + 5.0 j -6.0 k, d2 = -1.0 i -1.0 j + 3.0 k, and d3 = 4.0 i + 3.0 j + 2.0 k.

(a) What is r = d1 - d2 + d3?
Got it right, 10,9,-7
(b) What is the angle between r and the positive z axis?
I am getting 127.87 degrees, but its wrong

I am taking the vector r's j and k, or y and z axes. then I am just doing sqrt(9^2 + -7^2) and then cos-1(-7/11.4(which is the mag)) can anyone help this is due in like 35 mins

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you using the dot product, or trig? Regardless, your magnitude for r is wrong, it should be sqrt(9^2 + 7^2 + 10^2). So the z leg is -7, which you got, and the magnitude gives the new magnitude. The angle would just he inverse cosine of that proportion.

if I put the mag at 15.17, it would mess it up right, because the vectors r axis doesn't have anything to do with z right, its up 9 and out -7 if you look at it straight on

are you saying its 117.49?

when finding the magnitude of a vector you can't just ignore one of the components.

0i+9j-7k =/= 10i+9j-7k

so the magnitude of the just 9j-7k is not equal to the magnitude of 10i+9j-7k

Hmm, I'm not really sure what you mean by the r axis. Take three pencils and put them on the edge of table, each one representing the respective axis, and then point a stick out and down to represent your r vector. It wants the angle between the stick and the z axis directly, so ignore the x and the y pencils, and figure out the angle between the stick and the z pencil.

What you are proposing is to cut up some of the stick, and move it.

Related to How to Calculate the Angle Between a Vector and the Z-Axis?

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a line or arrow with both magnitude (length) and direction. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the movement or force of an object.

2. How do you find the angle in a vector?

The angle in a vector can be found using trigonometry. If the vector is given in terms of its horizontal and vertical components, the angle can be found using the inverse tangent function. Alternatively, if the vector is given in terms of its magnitude and direction, the angle can be found by subtracting the direction from 90 degrees.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, whereas a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, speed, and mass, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

4. Can the angle in a vector be negative?

Yes, the angle in a vector can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive coordinate axes. However, when using trigonometry to find the angle, it is often expressed as a positive angle between 0 and 360 degrees.

5. How is the angle in a vector used in real-world applications?

The angle in a vector is used in various real-world applications, such as navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, pilots use vectors and their angles to determine the direction and magnitude of wind, and engineers use vectors to calculate the force and direction of an object's movement. Vectors are also used in computer graphics to represent 3D objects and their rotations.