Angles Formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂

In summary, the question asks for the angles that the vector î + ĵ + √2k̂ makes with the x-axis, y-axis, and z-axis. The correct approach is to find the direction cosines of the vector, which are 60°, 60°, and 45° respectively, and not just assume they are all 90°.
Yodaa

Homework Statement

the angles which[/B] î + ĵ + √2k̂ makes with x axis, y-axis and z axis are?

The Attempt at a Solution

the question is basically asking us what angle î + ĵ + √2k̂ makes with î + ĵ + k̂ right?
So since √2 is just the magnitude i thought the answer would be 90, 90, 90
the answer given is 60, 60 and 45

PS: i just started learning vectors

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
î + ĵ + √2k̂ is a vector made up of three components, but it corresponds to a single vector. From my interpretation of the question, I would assume the question expects three answers (which is seems like it does). Rather than finding the angle î + ĵ + √2k̂ makes with î + ĵ + k̂ you are finding:
a). The angle î + ĵ + √2k̂ makes with î
b). The angle î + ĵ + √2k̂ makes with ĵ
c). The angle î + ĵ + √2k̂ makes with

Likes Yodaa
Yodaa said:

Homework Statement

the angles which[/B] î + ĵ + √2k̂ makes with x axis, y-axis and z axis are?

The Attempt at a Solution

the question is basically asking us what angle î + ĵ + √2k̂ makes with î + ĵ + k̂ right?
So since √2 is just the magnitude i thought the answer would be 90, 90, 90
the answer given is 60, 60 and 45

PS: i just started learning vectors
##\sqrt{2}## is the coefficient of the unit vector k.

To calculate the magnitude of the vector ##i + j + \sqrt{2} k##, you still have to do some further calculations.

What you are looking for are the direction cosines of this vector:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direction_cosine

Likes Yodaa
oh i had completely misinterpreted the question! Thanks for the help @Yosty22

Likes Yosty22
I got the answer after reading up about direction cosines! Thanks for the help @SteamKing

Related to Angles Formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂

1. What is the definition of "Angles Formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂"?

The term "Angles Formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂" refers to the measurement of the angle formed by the three-dimensional vector with components î, ĵ, and √2k̂.

2. How do you calculate the angles formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂?

The angles formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂ can be calculated using the dot product formula: θ = arccos[(î·ĵ + ĵ·√2k̂ + √2k̂·î) / (|î| |ĵ| |√2k̂|)]. This formula gives the angle between two vectors, which can be applied to the three-dimensional vector in question.

3. What is the relationship between the angles formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂ and the x, y, and z components of the vector?

The angles formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂ are related to the x, y, and z components of the vector through the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. For example, the angle formed by the x and y components can be calculated using the inverse tangent function: θ = arctan(y/x).

4. Can the angles formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂ be negative?

Yes, the angles formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂ can be negative. This occurs when the vector is pointing in the opposite direction than the positive direction of the x, y, or z-axis, resulting in a negative angle measurement.

5. How do the angles formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂ relate to the magnitude of the vector?

The angles formed by Vector î + ĵ + √2k̂ do not directly relate to the magnitude of the vector. However, the magnitude of the vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem and the angles formed by the vector, as the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the vector's components.