How to calculate relative doppler shift

In summary: If I measure the Doppler shift from Jupiter itself, then I would subtract/add that from/to the Doppler shifts that I measure from Io.
Link
I am to measure the rotational velocity of Io relative to Jupiter, and will do so using a spectrograph.

I will measure the frequency change of a specific mineral emmision band in the spectra, and then check how much it has shifted from its original wavelenght with a table. Then I use the formula:

[tex]v = (\Delta \lambda/\lambda) c[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta \lambda[/tex] is the change of frequency and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the rest wavelenght. C is speed of light.

to calculate the velocity for each object.

The problem is how do I calculate the velocities relative to each other? Io rotates around jupiter, using my method i believe i can only calculate its speed moving relative to earth?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Link said:
I am to measure the rotational velocity of Io relative to Jupiter, and will do so using a spectrograph.

I will measure the frequency change of a specific mineral emmision band in the spectra, and then check how much it has shifted from its original wavelenght with a table. Then I use the formula:

[tex]v = (\Delta \lambda/\lambda) c[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta \lambda[/tex] is the change of frequency and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the rest wavelenght. C is speed of light.

to calculate the velocity for each object.

The problem is how do I calculate the velocities relative to each other? Io rotates around jupiter, using my method i believe i can only calculate its speed moving relative to earth?
Can you not also measure the same emission band for Jupiter itself?

AM

but the problem is, that I do not know how to integrate the shift of Io relative to jupiter... in order to measure the radial velocity of Io around jupiter, i need to integrate them both into the same forumla in some way :confused:

Link said:
but the problem is, that I do not know how to integrate the shift of Io relative to jupiter... in order to measure the radial velocity of Io around jupiter, i need to integrate them both into the same forumla in some way :confused:
If you measure the Doppler shift from Jupiter itself you would simply subtract/add that from/to the Doppler shifts that you measure from Io.

AM

Related to How to calculate relative doppler shift

1. How do I calculate the relative Doppler shift?

To calculate the relative Doppler shift, you need to know the frequency of the emitted wave (f), the speed of the source (v), and the speed of the observer (u). The formula for relative Doppler shift is given by: f' = f(v/u + 1), where f' is the observed frequency.

2. What is the difference between relative and absolute Doppler shift?

The relative Doppler shift takes into account the motion of both the source and the observer, while the absolute Doppler shift only considers the motion of the source. This means that the relative Doppler shift will give a more accurate measurement of the frequency change due to the relative motion between the source and observer.

3. How does the speed of the source affect the relative Doppler shift?

The speed of the source affects the relative Doppler shift by changing the wavelength of the emitted wave. As the source moves towards the observer, the wavelength decreases and the frequency increases, resulting in a blue shift. On the other hand, as the source moves away from the observer, the wavelength increases and the frequency decreases, resulting in a red shift.

4. Can the relative Doppler shift be negative?

Yes, the relative Doppler shift can be negative. This happens when the source and observer are moving away from each other, resulting in a decrease in frequency and a red shift. It is important to note that the negative sign in this case does not indicate a negative frequency, but rather a decrease in frequency compared to the emitted wave.

5. How is the relative Doppler shift used in real-world applications?

The relative Doppler shift is used in various fields such as astronomy, meteorology, and radar technology. In astronomy, it is used to study the motion and distance of celestial objects. In meteorology, it is used to measure the speed and direction of wind. In radar technology, it is used to detect the speed and location of moving objects such as aircrafts and vehicles.