How to Calculate Distance Traveled in Uniform Acceleration?

In summary, uniform acceleration is when an object's velocity changes at a constant rate, and it can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t. This is different from constant velocity, which means the object is moving at a steady speed without any change in its velocity. Objects can experience uniform acceleration in real life, and air resistance can affect it by slowing down the object's acceleration due to the opposing force it creates. Objects with less surface area experience less air resistance and can maintain a more uniform acceleration, such as a bullet.
markosheehan
A particle travels srating with a initial speed u, with uniform acceleration a. Show that the distance traveled during the nth second is u+an-.5a. (b) if the particle travels 17m in the 2nd second of motion and 47m in the 7th second of motion how far will it go in the (i) 10th second of motion (ii) nth second of motion

i worked out the first bit by letting s=un+.5an^2. i then found s=u(n+1)=5a(n+1)^2. and i took these away from each other and i was left with the answer. i no not know what to do for part b though

Mathematics news on Phys.org
a) We begin with the kinematic equation:

\(\displaystyle s(n)=\frac{a}{2}n^2+un\)

And so:

\(\displaystyle \Delta s_n=s(n)-s(n-1)=\frac{a}{2}n^2+un-\frac{a}{2}(n-1)^2-u(n-1)=an+u-\frac{a}{2}\)

b) We are given:

\(\displaystyle \Delta s_2=2a+u-\frac{a}{2}=\frac{3}{2}a+u=17\)

\(\displaystyle \Delta s_7=7a+u-\frac{a}{2}=\frac{13}{2}a+u=47\)

Multiplying both equations by 2, we obtain the 2X2 system:

\(\displaystyle 3a+2u=34\)

\(\displaystyle 13a+2u=94\)

To proceed, subtract the former equation from the latter, eliminating $u$ and solve the result for $a$. Then use either equation to find $u$ using the value you find for $a$. Once you have $a$ and $u$, you will be able to express $\Delta s_n$ in terms of $n$ alone.

Related to How to Calculate Distance Traveled in Uniform Acceleration?

1. What is uniform acceleration?

Uniform acceleration is when an object is moving with a constant change in velocity, meaning its speed is increasing or decreasing at a steady rate.

2. How is uniform acceleration calculated?

Uniform acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken.

3. What is the difference between uniform acceleration and constant velocity?

Uniform acceleration involves a constant change in velocity, while constant velocity means that the object is moving at a steady speed without any change in its velocity.

4. Can objects experience uniform acceleration in real life?

Yes, objects can experience uniform acceleration in real life. For example, a car accelerating from a complete stop or a rollercoaster going down a hill are both examples of uniform acceleration.

5. How does air resistance affect uniform acceleration?

Air resistance can affect uniform acceleration by slowing down the object's acceleration due to the opposing force it creates. This is why objects with less surface area, like a bullet, experience less air resistance and can maintain a more uniform acceleration.