How to Calculate Buoyant Force and Volume of a Submerged Object?

In summary, The Doppler effect is being discussed in this conversation. An ambulance is traveling at 31 m/s, producing a loud sound with a frequency of 895 Hz. As the ambulance approaches a driver, the driver slows down to 14 m/s in order to obey the law. The formula for the Doppler effect is given, and the person asking the question must determine the correct setup for the given variables. In another conversation, the problem of a chunk of carbon steel submerged in water is being discussed. The density of the steel and the difference in weight between air and water are given. The equations for buoyant force and density are provided, but the person asking for help is unsure of how to find the volume.
missnola2a
doppler effect quick question!

Homework Statement

An ambulance traveling at speed 31 m/s is producing a loud sound of frequency 895 Hz. You see the ambulance in your rear view mirror as the ambulance approaches you and you slow down to 14 m/s as a law obeying citizen (hehehe we know now).

Homework Equations

fo=fs((v +- Vo)/(v+-Vs))

should it be:

895 (330-14)/(330-31)?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

You are wright.

hi, thanks so much! i got that one... will you look at this one? I feel like I am so close.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2286412#post2286412

OR

A chunk of carbon steel with density, ρ = 7.84 g/cm3 , is completely submerged in fresh water. The chuck of steel weighs 39 N more in air than in water. Please answer the following:
(a) Find the buoyant force acting on the chuck of steel.
N
(b) Find the the volume of the chuck of steel.
m3
(c) What is the mass of the chuck of steel?

2. Homework Equations

Fw(air)=Fw(water) + 39 N

d=m/v

Fb=gp(f)V

BUT I don't know how to find the volume.

density of air is 1.16 kg/m3
density of water is 1.0x10^3

3. The Attempt at a Solution

once I get the VOLUME I can find the relative weights by using rho*g*v
and Fw(water)+ 39N = Fw(air)

Related to How to Calculate Buoyant Force and Volume of a Submerged Object?

1. What is the Doppler effect?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave in relation to an observer who is moving relative to the wave source.

2. How does the Doppler effect work?

The Doppler effect works by changing the perceived frequency of a wave as the source of the wave moves closer or farther away from the observer.

3. What are some examples of the Doppler effect in everyday life?

Some examples of the Doppler effect in everyday life include the sound of a siren on an emergency vehicle changing as it passes by, the change in pitch of a train horn as it approaches and moves away, and the change in frequency of sound waves as a car drives by.

4. What is the difference between the Doppler effect and the Doppler shift?

The terms Doppler effect and Doppler shift are often used interchangeably, but technically the Doppler effect refers to the overall change in frequency or wavelength, while the Doppler shift refers to the specific change in frequency or wavelength.

5. How is the Doppler effect used in science and technology?

The Doppler effect is used in many areas of science and technology, including weather radar to track the movement of storms, radar guns to measure the speed of moving objects, and in astronomy to study the movement of stars and galaxies.