How to calculate Air flow rate....?

In summary, the conversation discusses the methodology for calculating the air flow capacity of a system at a specified pressure and recommends pipe sizing for a required air flow. It is mentioned that the pressure is 7 kg/cm2 and the pipe is open to atmosphere. The maximum flow for a 12mm pipe with a 10m length from an air receiver at 7kg/cm2 is also requested. A suggested resource for solving this problem is Example 6.2-2 in Bird, R.B., Stewart, W.E., and Lightfoot, E.N., Transport Phenomena, John Wiley, 2002, p. 183.
MANPREET SINGH
Sir, Kindly let me know how to calculate flow rate (cfm or Litre/m) of air flowing through a pipe of 12 mm dia from a reservoir at pressure 7 kg/cm2 to atmosphere.

i.e ;- how much volume of compressed air could pass within a minute through a "X"mm dia pipe from a constant pressure (7 kg/cm2)

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What level of accuracy are you going for?

If you don't feel the need to calculate the pressure drop in the pipe, or the velocity profile, you can get an approximation with Bernoulli's. Find the kinetic energy of the air as it leaves, solve for the velocity, multiply by the crossectional area and you've got a volume flow rate.

MANPREET SINGH said:
Sir, Kindly let me know how to calculate flow rate (cfm or Litre/m) of air flowing through a pipe of 12 mm dia from a reservoir at pressure 7 kg/cm2 to atmosphere.

i.e ;- how much volume of compressed air could pass within a minute through a "X"mm dia pipe from a constant pressure (7 kg/cm2)

Thanks
You'll also need to know the length of pipe through which the air travels from the reservoir to atmosphere, along with any fittings, elbows, valves, etc. to calculate the minor losses in the system.

Since the reservoir is maintained at a pressure of 7 kg/cm2(is this gauge or absolute pressure?), which is approximately 7 atmospheres, choking of the flow is a distinct possibility, which would render use of the Bernoulli equation invalid, since in the choked condition, the flow has become supersonic and one can no longer ignore the effects of compressibility on the flow of the air inside the pipe.

You also need to consider viscous/turbulent friction loss in the pipe.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You also need to consider viscous/turbulent friction loss in the pipe.

Chet
Those were my reasons for asking for more information on the exit piping.

thanks for your Suggestions,
@jackwirl - i need to know basic Methodology for calculating air flow capacity of a System at a specified pressure, For Recommendation of Pipe Sizing for a required Air Flow.

@SteamKing - Sir 7 kg/cm2 is gauge pressure & assume with no choking of flow in pipe line and the pipe is open to atmosphere.

i need to know(calculate) what would be the max Flow a 12mm pipe (10m length) could provide from a Air Receiver at 7kg/cm2.

thanks.

See Example 6.2-2 "Flow Rate for a Given Pressure Drop" in Bird, R.B., Stewart, W.E., and Lightfoot, E.N., Transport Phenomena, John Wiley, 2002, p. 183.

This example shows how to solve for the case of an incompressible fluid. Based on this, it is easy to figure out how to handle a compressible fluid.

Chet

Related to How to calculate Air flow rate....?

1. How do you calculate air flow rate?

The air flow rate can be calculated by multiplying the velocity of the air (in feet per minute) by the cross-sectional area of the air duct or opening (in square feet).

2. What is the formula for calculating air flow rate?

The formula for calculating air flow rate is: Q = VA, where Q is the air flow rate (in cubic feet per minute), V is the velocity of the air (in feet per minute), and A is the cross-sectional area of the duct or opening (in square feet).

3. How do you measure air flow rate?

Air flow rate can be measured using an anemometer, which measures the velocity of the air, or by using a flow hood, which measures the volume of air passing through a duct or opening.

4. What factors can affect air flow rate?

Air flow rate can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the duct or opening, the temperature and humidity of the air, and any obstructions or bends in the air flow path.

5. Why is it important to calculate air flow rate?

Calculating air flow rate is important for several reasons. It allows for proper ventilation and air circulation in a space, helps determine the efficiency of HVAC systems, and is crucial in industries such as manufacturing and construction where precise air flow rates are necessary for safety and quality control.