How to Calculate Air Flow Rate for a Cylindrical Vessel with Perimeter Holes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in calculating the required air flow for a cylindrical drum used to measure the accuracy of a vacuum machine. The vessel is made of steel and has a diameter of 22.5 inches and a height of 34.5 inches, with 50 holes measuring 13mm in diameter. The air flow rate is needed for a vacuum of 1" of H20 at a temperature of 70 degrees Fahrenheit and relative humidity of 26%. Based on the assumptions of steady state and a discharge coefficient of 0.7, the estimated flow rate is 280 SCFM, calculated using Bernoulli's equation. The use of this vessel as a calibration standard is questioned.
naboulsi
We are having trouble calculating a required ft^3 per minute air flow for a particular vessel which was constructed to measure the accuracy of a vacuum machine.
Our vessel is a steel cylindrical drum 1mm thick with a diameter of 22.5" and a height of 34.5". It has 50 holes around the lower perimeter measuring 13 mm in diameter. What is the air flow rate if we pull a vacuum of 1" of H20 at a temp of 70 deg. F and Relative Humidity of 26%. Can anyone help us out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi naboulsi,
This probably belongs in the mechanical engineering forum. Anyway, assuming your system is maintaining 1" water vacuum, steady state, and assuming a discharge coefficient for your drilled holes of roughly 0.7 (from experience) I'd estimate your flow rate to be 280 SCFM.

The way to calculate it is to use Bernoulli's equation: assuming perfect nozzles, that 1" of static pressure becomes your velocity pressure.

That is a pretty poor sounding calibration standard.

Related to How to Calculate Air Flow Rate for a Cylindrical Vessel with Perimeter Holes?

1) How can I determine if there is an air flow problem in my space?

To determine if there is an air flow problem, you can check for uneven temperatures, lack of air movement, and unusual smells or odors. You can also use an anemometer to measure air flow and compare it to recommended levels for your space.

2) What could be causing an air flow problem in my home or building?

There are several possible causes for an air flow problem, including clogged air filters, blocked air vents, improperly sized or installed ductwork, and issues with the HVAC system. It's important to identify and address the root cause to effectively solve the problem.

3) Can an air flow problem lead to other issues in my space?

Yes, an air flow problem can lead to a variety of issues such as uneven temperatures, poor air quality, increased energy costs, and even damage to your HVAC system. It's important to address air flow problems promptly to prevent further complications.

4) What can I do to improve air flow in my space?

There are several steps you can take to improve air flow, such as regularly changing air filters, keeping air vents clear and unobstructed, ensuring proper ductwork sizing and installation, and having your HVAC system regularly maintained by a professional.

5) When should I seek professional help for an air flow problem?

If you have tried basic troubleshooting steps and are still experiencing air flow issues, it may be time to seek professional help. A certified HVAC technician can diagnose the problem and provide effective solutions to improve air flow in your space.