How to break it into simple fractures

• Thread starter electron2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, in order to solve for A, B, and C in the equation 1/(s(s^2-1)) = A/s + B/(s-1) + C/(s+1), one must correctly set up the equations and solve for each variable. Also, an alternative method is to expand around the poles and equate the singular terms to get the same result.
electron2
[tex]\frac{1}{s(s^2-1)}=\frac{A}{s}+\frac{b}{s-1}+\frac{C}{s+1}[/tex]

i get A=-1
B=-C
A+B+C=0

where is the mistake

Physics news on Phys.org
We cannot find your mistake if you don't show us your entire solution.

How do you know you made a mistake? What did you get for B and C? After you find these values, you should be able to check that the expression on the right side (with numbers substituted for A, B, and C) is equal to 1/(s(s^2 - 1)). If the two expressions are identically equal then your values for A, B, and C are correct. If not, then you made a mistake.

The problem lies in the three expressions he has gotten so far. If A=-1 and B=-C then A+B+C=A=0=-1.

You can do it faster, without solving any equations, by expanding around the poles. A rational function f(z) with a pole at z = p can be expanded as:

a/(z-p)^n + b/(z-p)^(n-1) + ...

If you add up all the singular terms of all the expansions around all the poles, and call that function you get g(z), then the difference:

h(z) = f(z) - g(z)

doesn't have any poles anymore, therefore it must be a polynomial. If
f(z) tends to zero at inifinty, then so does h(z), because g(z) also tends to zero to infinity. But because h(z) is a polynomial, that means that h(z) = 0, therefore f(z) = g(z).

In the given case, the expansions around the three poles is very easy to obtain. Around s = 0, we have:

f(s) = 1/s [expansion of 1/(s^2 - 1) around s = 0] =

1/s [-1 + O(s)] = -1/s + nonsingular terms.

Around s = 1:

f(s) = 1/(s-1) [expansion of 1/s 1/(s+1) around s = 1] =

1/2 1/(s-1) + nonsingular terms

Around s = -1:

f(s) = 1/(s+1) [expansion of 1/s 1/(s-1) around s = -1] =

1/2 1/(s+1) + nonsingular terms

So, we have:

f(s) = -1/s + 1/2 [1/(s-1) + 1/(s+1)]

electron2 said:
[tex]\frac{1}{s(s^2-1)}=\frac{A}{s}+\frac{b}{s-1}+\frac{C}{s+1}[/tex]

i get A=-1
B=-C
A+B+C=0

where is the mistake

Your mistake isn't where you solved for A. It's that you wrote your equations incorrectly. Check here:

[tex]\frac{1}{s(s+1)(s-1)}=\frac{A(s^{2}-1)+B(s^{2}+s)+C(s^{2}-s)}{s(s+1)(s-1)}[/tex]

Now redo your system and you will get A = -1. However, your 2nd and 3rd equations will be different.

Hint: [tex]B \neq -C[/tex]

Count Iblis said:
You can do it faster, without solving any equations, by expanding around the poles. A rational function f(z) with a pole at z = p can be expanded as:

a/(z-p)^n + b/(z-p)^(n-1) + ...

If you add up all the singular terms of all the expansions around all the poles, and call that function you get g(z), then the difference:

h(z) = f(z) - g(z)

doesn't have any poles anymore, therefore it must be a polynomial. If
f(z) tends to zero at inifinty, then so does h(z), because g(z) also tends to zero to infinity. But because h(z) is a polynomial, that means that h(z) = 0, therefore f(z) = g(z).

In the given case, the expansions around the three poles is very easy to obtain. Around s = 0, we have:

f(s) = 1/s [expansion of 1/(s^2 - 1) around s = 0] =

1/s [-1 + O(s)] = -1/s + nonsingular terms.

Around s = 1:

f(s) = 1/(s-1) [expansion of 1/s 1/(s+1) around s = 1] =

1/2 1/(s-1) + nonsingular terms

Around s = -1:

f(s) = 1/(s+1) [expansion of 1/s 1/(s-1) around s = -1] =

1/2 1/(s+1) + nonsingular terms

So, we have:

f(s) = -1/s + 1/2 [1/(s-1) + 1/(s+1)]

Haha I think you might have lost him here, as you lost me for a second. The equations become trivial in this case, so it is a bit easier to just set up the system and stare at it. I've never seen that before, but now I'll remember it as an alternative to doing stupid systems.

Related to How to break it into simple fractures

1. How can I determine the best method for breaking a material into simple fractures?

The best method for breaking a material into simple fractures depends on several factors, such as the type of material, its thickness, and its level of brittleness. Some common methods include using a hammer and chisel, applying pressure with a hydraulic press, or using specialized tools such as a diamond saw. It is important to research and carefully consider the properties of the material before selecting a method.

2. What are the safety precautions that should be taken when breaking a material into simple fractures?

Safety should always be a top priority when breaking a material into simple fractures. It is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, and to work in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to carefully follow the instructions for the chosen method and to have a first aid kit on hand in case of accidents.

3. Is there a specific angle or direction that I should break the material to achieve a simple fracture?

The angle and direction of the fracture will depend on the type of material and the method being used. In general, it is best to start at the edges of the material and work towards the center, applying controlled force to create a clean break. Experiment with different angles and directions to find the most effective approach for the specific material.

4. Can I use chemical agents to create simple fractures in a material?

Chemical agents can be used to weaken or dissolve certain types of materials, making them easier to break into simple fractures. However, it is important to use caution and carefully follow the instructions for handling and disposing of these chemicals. Additionally, the use of chemical agents may not be suitable for all materials and may require specialized knowledge and equipment.

5. What should I do if the material does not break as desired?

If the material does not break into simple fractures as desired, it is important to stop and assess the situation. It may be necessary to adjust the method being used or to seek assistance from a professional. It is also important to carefully examine the material for any potential hazards, such as sharp edges or flying debris, before continuing the process.