How to balance gravitational energy and kinetic energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a runaway truck with failed brakes and a friction-less emergency escape ramp. The truck is moving at a speed of ##130\frac{km}{h}## before the driver steers it up the ramp with an inclination of ##θ=15°##. The truck's mass is ##1.2⋅10^4kg## and the question asks for the minimum length L of the ramp for the truck to stop momentarily. The conversation includes various equations and attempts at solving the problem, with the final correct solution being ##L=257m##.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"In Fig. 8-33, a runaway truck with failed brakes is moving downgrade at ##130\frac{km}{h}## just before the driver steers the truck up a friction-less emergency escape ramp with an inclination of ##θ=15°##. The truck's mass is ##1.2⋅10^4kg##. What minimum length L must the ramp have if the truck is to stop momentarily along it?
vZcsHt6.png

Homework Equations

##v=130\frac{km}{h}=\frac{325}{9}\frac{m}{s}##
##m=1.2⋅10^4kg##
##θ=15°##
##K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
##-K=-Fy=-(mgsinθ)(y)##
##y=Lsinθ##

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I figured that the gravitational work must equal to the work produced by the truck and its velocity. And gravity does work only in the vertical direction, which is why I'm expressing gravitational work in terms of the force and the vertical distance ##y##. This is what I did, and it isn't giving me the correct answer.

##K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
##-K=-Fy=-(mgsinθ)(y)##
##K=Fy=(mgsinθ)(y)=(mgsinθ)(Lsinθ)##
##(mgsinθ)(Lsinθ)=(\frac{1}{2}mv^2)##
##(L)(g)(sin^2θ)=(\frac{1}{2}v^2)##
##L=(\frac{1}{2g})(v^2)(csc^2θ)##

Evaluating this gives me: ##L=993.2m##, which is not the answer from the back of the book. I feel like there's something I'm not understanding. Can someone help me? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"In Fig. 8-33, a runaway truck with failed brakes is moving downgrade at ##130\frac{km}{h}## just before the driver steers the truck up a friction-less emergency escape ramp with an inclination of ##θ=15°##. The truck's mass is ##1.2⋅10^4kg##. What minimum length L must the ramp have if the truck is to stop momentarily along it?

Homework Equations

##v=130\frac{km}{h}=\frac{325}{9}\frac{m}{s}##
##m=1.2⋅10^4kg##
##θ=15°##
##K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2##
##-K=-Fy=-(mgsinθ)(y)##
##y=Lsinθ##

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I figured that the gravitational work must equal to the work produced by the truck and its velocity. And gravity does work only in the vertical direction, which is why I'm expressing gravitational work in terms of the force and the vertical distance ##y##. This is what I did, and it isn't giving me the correct answer.
What is the potential energy at high y?

It's not ##(mg)(sinθ)(y)##, is it?

Eclair_de_XII said:
It's not ##(mg)(sinθ)(y)##, is it?
No. How much work you have to do if you raise a mass m to height y? Does the work depend on the path along the mass moves?

ehild said:
How much work you have to do if you raise a mass m to height y?

The formula for work is just force dot distance, so ##W=(F)(y)(cosθ)##, depending on which angle we're using.

ehild said:
Does the work depend on the path along the mass moves?

It does not, I believe.

Eclair_de_XII said:
The formula for work is just force dot distance, so ##W=(F)(y)(cosθ)##, depending on which angle we're using.
It does not, I believe.
You said y was the vertical component of the displacement, y=Lsin(θ). What is the direction of the force?

ehild said:
What is the direction of the force?

Isn't it forty degrees? Additionally, I feel like I may have to express velocity in terms of its x- and y-components. Am I wrong?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Isn't it forty degrees? Additionally, I feel like I may have to express velocity in terms of its x- and y-components. Am I wrong?

What force acts on the truck along the upward ramp?

Gravity.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Gravity.
Yes. What is the direction of gravity?

It's always pointing down... unless you shift the axes of the FBD, I think.

Eclair_de_XII said:
It's always pointing down... unless you shift the axes of the FBD, I think.
Yes, it is vertical, pointing down. What is the potential energy of a body of mass m at height y?

Is it ##U=(F_G)(y)##? I've also said that this is equal to the quantity ##[(mg)(sin\theta)]⋅[(L)(sin\theta)]##. This isn't correct, is it?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Is it ##U=(F_G)(y)##? I've also said that this is equal to the quantity ##[(mg)(sin\theta)]⋅[(L)(sin\theta)]##. This isn't correct, is it?
Yes, the potential energy is mgy and y = Lsin(θ). You were not correct.

ehild said:
Yes, the potential energy is mgy and y = Lsin(θ). You were not correct.

So the force of gravity is not ##(mg)(sin\theta)## when doing energy calculations? In any case, this gave me the right answer.

##L=(\frac{1}{2g})(v^2)(csc\theta)=(\frac{1s^2}{19.6m})(\frac{105625}{81}\frac{m^2}{s^2})(csc15°)=257m##

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Eclair_de_XII said:
So the force of gravity is not ##(mg)(sin\theta)## when doing energy calculations? In any case, this gave me the right answer.

##L=(\frac{1}{2g})(v^2)(csc\theta)=(\frac{1s^2}{19.6m})(\frac{105625}{81}\frac{m^2}{s^2})(csc15°)=257m##

Thanks. I appreciate it.
The force of gravity is mg. Its component along the slope is mgsin(θ), downward. You can also calculate the change of potential energy along the slope. It is also mgsin(θ) L.

Eclair_de_XII said:
So the force of gravity is not (mg)(sinθ) when doing energy calculations?
The angle of interest is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of the distance you are multiplying by. If the angle between the two is θ then the work is Fd cos(θ).
Gravity is vertical. If you want to know the height the truck goes, that is a vertical distance. The angle between the two is zero.
If you want to know the distance up a ramp at angle θ, the angle between that and g is π/2-θ.

ehild said:
You can also calculate the change of potential energy along the slope. It is also mgsin(θ) L.

I see.

haruspex said:
The angle of interest is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of the distance you are multiplying by. If the angle between the two is θ then the work is Fd cos(θ).

I will have to remember that in the future. Thanks.

Related to How to balance gravitational energy and kinetic energy?

1. What is gravitational energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational energy is the potential energy that an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. Kinetic energy is the energy that an object has due to its motion.

2. Why is it important to balance gravitational energy and kinetic energy?

Balancing gravitational energy and kinetic energy is important because it ensures that the object's total energy remains constant. This is known as the conservation of energy, and it is a fundamental principle in physics.

3. How do you calculate gravitational energy and kinetic energy?

Gravitational energy can be calculated using the formula E = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. Kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

4. Can gravitational energy and kinetic energy ever be equal?

Yes, gravitational energy and kinetic energy can be equal when an object is at its highest point in a vertical motion. At this point, the object has no kinetic energy, but all of its gravitational energy is stored as potential energy.

5. How can you balance gravitational energy and kinetic energy?

To balance gravitational energy and kinetic energy, you can either adjust the height or mass of the object or its velocity. For example, if you increase the height of the object, its gravitational energy will increase, but its kinetic energy will decrease. You can also use external forces, such as friction or air resistance, to balance the two energies.