How to apply the WKB approximation in this case?

In summary, the WKB (Wentzel–Kramers–Brillouin) approximation is a method used in quantum mechanics to find approximate solutions to the Schrödinger equation. It works by dividing the wavefunction into two parts: a slowly varying envelope and a rapidly oscillating phase. The WKB approximation is most applicable in situations where the potential energy is slowly varying and the wavelength of the particle is much smaller than the length scale of the potential. However, it is not suitable for potentials with sharp changes or discontinuities. The accuracy of the WKB approximation depends on the specific problem and the order of the approximation used, but it can be exact for certain types of potentials. The WKB approximation can be
a1111

Homework Statement

I'm trying to learn how to apply the WKB approximation. Given the following problem:

An electron, say, in the nuclear potential

$$U(r)=\begin{cases}
& -U_{0} \;\;\;\;\;\;\text{ if } r < r_{0} \\
& k/r \;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\text{ if } r > r_{0}
\end{cases}$$

1. What is the radial Schrödinger equation for the $\ell=0$ state?

2. Assuming the energy of the barrier (i.e. $k/r_{0}$) to be high, how do you use the WKB approximation to estimate the bound state energies inside the well?

Homework Equations

For the first question, I thought the radial part of the equation of motion was the following

$$\left \{ - {\hbar^2 \over 2m r^2} {d\over dr}\left(r^2{d\over dr}\right) +{\hbar^2 \ell(\ell+1)\over 2mr^2}+U(r) \right \} R(r)=ER(r)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, do I simply just let $\ell=0$ and obtain the following? Which of the two potentials do I use?

$$\left \{ - {\hbar^2 \over 2m r^2} {d\over dr}\left(r^2{d\over dr}\right) +U(r) \right \} R(r)=ER(r)$$

For the other question, do I use $\int \sqrt{2m(E-U(r))}=(n+1/2)\hbar π$, where $n=0,1,2,...$ ? If so, what are the turning points? And again, which of the two potentials do I use?

Physics news on Phys.org

For the first question, you are correct in setting $\ell=0$ to obtain the radial Schrödinger equation. However, you should use the potential given in the problem, which is a piecewise function. This means that the potential will be different for $r<r_0$ and $r>r_0$. Therefore, you will need to solve the equation separately for each region and then match the solutions at the boundary $r=r_0$.

For the second question, the WKB approximation can be used to estimate the bound state energies inside the well. The turning points refer to the points where the potential energy equals the total energy of the particle. In this case, the turning points will be at $r=r_0$ and at the point where $E=U(r)$. To use the WKB approximation, you will need to solve the Schrödinger equation for each region, just like in the first question, and then match the solutions at the turning points. This will give you an expression for the energy in terms of the potential and the turning points. You can then use this expression to estimate the bound state energies.

Related to How to apply the WKB approximation in this case?

1. How does the WKB approximation work?

The WKB (Wentzel–Kramers–Brillouin) approximation is a method used in quantum mechanics to find approximate solutions to the Schrödinger equation. It works by dividing the wavefunction into two parts: a slowly varying envelope and a rapidly oscillating phase. By neglecting the second derivative of the wavefunction, the equation can be simplified and solved more easily.

2. When is the WKB approximation applicable?

The WKB approximation is most applicable in situations where the potential energy is slowly varying and the wavelength of the particle is much smaller than the length scale of the potential. This is often the case in quantum mechanics problems involving tunneling or bound states.

3. Can the WKB approximation be used for any potential?

No, the WKB approximation is only valid for certain types of potentials, such as those that are smooth and slowly varying. It is not suitable for potentials with sharp changes or discontinuities.

4. How accurate is the WKB approximation?

The accuracy of the WKB approximation depends on the specific problem and the order of the approximation used. In general, the higher the order, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, for certain types of potentials, the WKB approximation can be exact.

5. How can I apply the WKB approximation in my research?

The WKB approximation can be applied in a variety of fields, including quantum mechanics, optics, and classical mechanics. It is best used when other methods, such as perturbation theory, are not applicable. To apply the WKB approximation, you will need to understand the basics of the method and have a good understanding of the problem you are trying to solve.