How to answer questions with assess in a scientific way?

• Thread starter mani88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientific
In summary: The most important part is the first sentence.In summary, the experiment was deemed valid due to the well-structured experimental design that tested the aim and tightly controlled all variables except those being investigated. This resulted in a high internal/criterion validity and external/ecological validity, as evidenced by the direct relationship between the measured variables. Additionally, the experiment was reliable as repeated trials yielded similar results and the data was averaged to increase reliability. Overall, the experiment was valid and reliable in its findings.
mani88
Homework Statement
Hi everyone, I just wanted to know how would I answer assess questions. So for example: Assess the validity of your experiment or Assess the reliability of your experiment or Assess the accuracy of your experiment. What would be the first step in answering these kinds of questions? How would I approach these kinds of questions? What can I talk about?

Thanks
Relevant Equations
Assess: Consider the value or importance of something, paying due attention to positive, negative and disputable aspects, and citing the judgements of any known authorities as well as your own.
Assess the validity of this experiment and suggest ways in which it can be improved.

The experiment was fairly valid as the experimental design tested the aim and all variables apart from those being investigated were kept constant.

Now you would elaborate on this statement through evidence, etc

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
'Access' and 'Assess' are two different words with different meanings.
Also, please post one example and show your attempt. It is mandatory for the OP to show their work in the HH forums here.
PS: Welcome to PF!:smile:

mani88 said:
Assess the validity of your experiment
State any reasons you can find that might make the experiment invalid.
mani88 said:
Assess the accuracy of your experiment.
Consider the sources and magnitudes of error in your measurements and the consequences for the result.

haruspex said:
State any reasons you can find that might make the experiment invalid.

Consider the sources and magnitudes of error in your measurements and the consequences for the result.
Thanks for your help but how would I start my topic sentence in a scientific way? Is it something like The experiment was fairly valid...or The experiment was not valid... How do I write these in a scientific way?

cnh1995 said:
'Access' and 'Assess' are two different words with different meanings.
Also, please post one example and show your attempt. It is mandatory for the OP to show their work in the HH forums here.
PS: Welcome to PF!:smile:
oh sorry... It's assess.
An example would be: Assess the validity of your experiment and suggest ways in which it can be improved.

Attempt: The experiment was fairly valid as the experimental design tests the aim and all variables apart from those being investigated were kept constant.

Something like this and then you would elaborate

Last edited:
mani88 said:
The experiment was fairly valid
That suggests it was not completely valid, so I would expect to read next some reasons it might not be.
Maybe you could post a specific example.

haruspex said:
That suggests it was not completely valid, so I would expect to read next some reasons it might not be.
Maybe you could post a specific example.
Would this be a good response??

The following investigation was valid as the experimental design tested the aim and all variables apart from those being investigated were kept tightly constant to stop them from affecting the results. The internal/criterion validity of this experiment was very high as the experimental design was well structured and encompasses all the steps of the scientific research method. The control variables were also kept tightly controlled as possible such as the table used, the ruler used and the slow motion device used. The external/ecological validity was also very high as the results showed a direct relationship between frequency and pitch, and amplitude and loudness like described in the hypothesis. Additionally, the validity can also be determined by looking at the reliability of this investigation.This practical was very reliable as repeated trials gave similar results. The results from the trial were then averaged to further increase the reliability of this experiment. In conclusion, this investigation was valid due to having a high internal and external validity and a high reliability.

mani88 said:
Would this be a good response??

The following investigation was valid as the experimental design tested the aim and all variables apart from those being investigated were kept tightly constant to stop them from affecting the results. The internal/criterion validity of this experiment was very high as the experimental design was well structured and encompasses all the steps of the scientific research method. The control variables were also kept tightly controlled as possible such as the table used, the ruler used and the slow motion device used. The external/ecological validity was also very high as the results showed a direct relationship between frequency and pitch, and amplitude and loudness like described in the hypothesis. Additionally, the validity can also be determined by looking at the reliability of this investigation.This practical was very reliable as repeated trials gave similar results. The results from the trial were then averaged to further increase the reliability of this experiment. In conclusion, this investigation was valid due to having a high internal and external validity and a high reliability.
Sounds good, even excessive, but whether it is appropriate depends on the actual experiment.

Related to How to answer questions with assess in a scientific way?

1. How do I assess a scientific question?

Assessing a scientific question involves evaluating its validity, relevance, and potential impact on the field. This can be done by considering the available evidence, conducting experiments, and consulting with other experts in the field.

2. What are some key elements to consider when answering a scientific question?

When answering a scientific question, it is important to consider the reliability of the data, the accuracy of the methods used, and the potential biases or limitations of the study. Additionally, it is important to clearly define the variables and control for any potential confounding factors.

3. How can I ensure objectivity when answering a scientific question?

To ensure objectivity when answering a scientific question, it is important to follow the scientific method and use rigorous, unbiased research methods. This includes designing experiments with proper control groups, using randomized samples, and minimizing personal biases and preconceived notions.

4. How do I communicate my scientific findings when answering a question?

When communicating scientific findings, it is important to use clear and concise language, avoid jargon, and provide evidence to support your conclusions. Graphs, charts, and tables can also be helpful in presenting data in a visual format.

5. Is it necessary to provide a conclusion when answering a scientific question?

Yes, it is important to provide a conclusion when answering a scientific question. This allows for a clear and concise summary of the findings and their implications. Additionally, providing a conclusion helps to demonstrate the significance of the research and how it contributes to the larger body of scientific knowledge.