How the acceleration of gravity is almost equal to pi squared?

• Thread starter LuGoBi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, the conversation revolved around the coincidence of the acceleration of gravity being almost equal to pi squared and how it only works in certain units. The participants also discussed other examples of numerical coincidences and concluded that it is simply numerology.
LuGoBi
Have you guys noticed how the acceleration of gravity is almost equal to pi squared?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea but you have to remember that the acceleration due to gravity changes with elevation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth's_gravity

If you found two universal constants that were related like e and i then you have something big.

And of course it only works in metric units.
Similairly there afre about 10milion pi seconds in a year.
A second is a milli-fortnight and an inch is an attoparsec.

Hm? g is 175.55 furlongs/minute^2. How is that almost equal to pi^2? Or does it only work in some arbitrarily selected set of units?

nicksauce said:
Hm? g is 175.55 furlongs/minute^2. How is that almost equal to pi^2? Or does it only work in some arbitrarily selected set of units?

mgb_phys has answered that.

Anyway, is there any point to this thread other than "spot the coincidence"?

If you select units correctly, everything is possible. Light speed is almost exactly 1 feet/ns.

cristo said:
mgb_phys has answered that.

Yes, I know. I just thought a hard example like that might help show the OP how absurd this sort of numerology is.

nicksauce said:
Yes, I know. I just thought a hard example like that might help show the OP how absurd this sort of numerology is.

Fair enough. Well, I think we've established that this is, as you say, simply numerology. Thus, this thread is done.

Related to How the acceleration of gravity is almost equal to pi squared?

1. What is the acceleration of gravity?

The acceleration of gravity is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth due to the force of gravity. It is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²) on the surface of the Earth.

2. How is the acceleration of gravity calculated?

The acceleration of gravity is calculated using the formula: a = F/m, where "a" represents acceleration, "F" represents force, and "m" represents mass. In the case of gravity, the force is the gravitational force exerted by the Earth on an object with a certain mass, causing it to accelerate towards the Earth.

3. What does "pi squared" have to do with the acceleration of gravity?

The number pi (π) represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, and when squared, it represents the area of a circle. In the case of the acceleration of gravity, pi squared (π²) is used in the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two objects: F = G(m1m2)/r², where "F" is the force of gravity, "G" is the gravitational constant, "m1" and "m2" are the masses of the two objects, and "r" is the distance between them.

4. Why is the acceleration of gravity almost equal to pi squared?

The acceleration of gravity is almost equal to pi squared because it is derived from the gravitational force formula, which includes the gravitational constant and the distance between two objects. The value of pi squared is a constant, and the Earth's gravitational constant is also a constant, making the acceleration of gravity almost equal to pi squared.

5. Can the acceleration of gravity be exactly equal to pi squared?

No, the acceleration of gravity cannot be exactly equal to pi squared because it is a physical quantity that is affected by various factors such as the mass and distance of two objects. While it may be close to pi squared, it will never be exactly equal to it.