How Should We Express the Amount of Money Sandy Received?

• MHB
  • Thread starter DawnC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, when dividing $100 between Ann and Sandy, if Ann receives $X, then the expression for the amount that Sandy will receive is $100-X. There is some disagreement on whether this should be expressed as an equation or simply an expression.
DawnC
Problem that I am not sure that I am doing right

One hundred dollars was divided between Ann and Sandy. If Ann received X dollars, write expression for the amount that Sandy would relieved.

Would it be 200 - X or 200/X?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Given that $X$ represents the amount Ann is to receive, let's let $Y$ be the amount Sandy will receive. Since the total amount (in dollars) to be divided between the two is 100, we then know the sum of the two amounts is 100:

\(\displaystyle X+Y=100\)

Now, solve for $Y$. :D

Thank you

DawnC said:
Problem that I am not sure that I am doing right

One hundred dollars was divided between Ann and Sandy. If Ann received X dollars, write expression for the amount that Sandy would relieved.

Would it be 200 - X or 200/X?

Both the options given by you are wrong.
Out of 100, if Ann received $x$ dollars, Sandy received the remaining dollars (obviously). Removing $x$ dollars from 100 will give the remaining dollars.
An expression for the dollars that Sandy received will be $100-x$ .
I have posted this solution because I don't agree with Mark for one small reason. The question says "give an expression for amount left with Sandy". But, Mark has given an equation.

phymat said:
...I have posted this solution because I don't agree with Mark for one small reason. The question says "give an expression for amount left with Sandy". But, Mark has given an equation.

I was helping the OP solve the problem, not simply do it for them. :D

Related to How Should We Express the Amount of Money Sandy Received?

What is the difference between "200-X" and "200/X"?

The notation "200-X" typically refers to a fixed amount subtracted from a larger amount, while "200/X" refers to a ratio or fraction of 200. For example, "200-50" would mean 200 minus 50, resulting in 150, while "200/50" would mean 200 divided by 50, resulting in 4.

Which notation is more commonly used in finance?

In finance, the notation "200/X" is more commonly used because it allows for easier comparison between different values. It also allows for easier calculation of percentages, which is often important in financial analysis.

Can "200-X" and "200/X" be used interchangeably?

No, they cannot. These notations have different meanings and cannot be used interchangeably. It is important to understand the context and use the correct notation when dealing with financial calculations.

What is the significance of "200" in these notations?

The number "200" in these notations represents a base value, which can be any amount or currency. It is used as a reference point for the calculations that follow.

Are there any other variations of these notations?

Yes, there are other variations of these notations, such as "200+X" which means a fixed amount added to 200, or "200*X" which means 200 multiplied by a certain factor. These variations can have different meanings and should be carefully interpreted in their specific context.