Should money be borrowed to take advantage of a discount?

• MHB
  • Thread starter jdrock12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, the problem is to figure out how much of the order needs to be financed so that the discount can be taken advantage of.
jdrock12
Okay so I'm trying to figure out how to do this example problem and if someone can solve it for me and show the work it would be awesome. My professor is great but i can't comprehend this subject in-particular. the question is..

"You are the accountant for Leather City, a retail furniture store. Recently, an order of sofas and chairs was received from a manufacturer with terms of 3/15,n/45. The order amounted to $230,000. They do not have sufficient cash on hand to take advantage of the discount. Leather City can borrow the money at 13% interest.

Would it be worthwhile to borrow money for 30 days in order to pay the bill within the discount period? why? Be specific. Justify your answer in terms of dollars"

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Having some diffuculties answering this question if anyone can help me solve it.

Hello jdrock12,

We typically do not provide full solutions to problems. Our goal is to help by offering hints and suggestions so that the student is engaged in coming to the solution, and learns a great deal more this way.

I am confused by the phrase "with terms of 3/15,n/45." Can you explain what this means and show what you have tried so far?

edit: I changed the title of the topic to give a brief description of the problem.

hey sorry about that and the terms "3/15 n/45" means you will get a 3 percent discount if the amount due is payed within 15 days and they want the full amount no matter what in 45 days.

How much of the order needs to be financed?

Let's assume the entire \$230000 is to be borrowed at 13% APR. How much will have to be repaid to the lender after 30 days?

Umm,no...the purpose of borrowing the money is to obtain the 3% discount, so they only have to borrow $\$223,100$.

The question is thus: will the interest on the 30-day loan be more than 6,900 dollars?

Unfortunately, this depends on what the 13% interest MEANS. Is it an APR (annual percentage rate), or a flat one-time fee, and how often is it compounded, if it is an APR?

We do not know these things, which makes this problem currently unsolvable.

Worst case scenario: it is a flat fee, in which case the loan is a VERY bad idea (as it costs $29,003 to obtain the money, which more than offsets the 3% discount).

Two likely scenarios:

a) the interest is an APR, compounded monthly (this is easy to figure out).

b) the interest is an APR, compounded continuously (this is slightly more complicated).

I won't give away the answer here, but I will note that the continual compounding rate yields an answer that is only pennies away from compounding daily (assuming 365 days in a year).

The terms 3/15, n/45 are a bit more generous than usual, most utilities use net 30 billing, and many businesses use net 10 billing (with fees and/or collection proceedings initiated for past-due accounts). Perhaps the manufacturer is allotting 2 weeks for delivery, which counts against the payment period.

Last edited:
Keeping it simple:

230000 * .03 = 6900

Discount is 15 days, not 30 days; so borrow for 15 days:
230000 * .13 / * (15 / 360) = ~1245

Anyway, if loan MUST be for 30 days, then 2490:
still way ahead :rolleyes:

I am confused by the phrase
"with terms of 3/15,n/45." Can you explain what this means and show what you have tried so far?__________________________________
Arslan1

Related to Should money be borrowed to take advantage of a discount?

1. Should I borrow money to take advantage of a discount?

It ultimately depends on your individual financial situation and the terms of the discount. If you can afford to pay back the borrowed money in a timely manner and the discount is significant enough to outweigh the cost of borrowing, then it may be a good decision. However, if you are already in debt or cannot afford the interest rates and fees associated with borrowing, it may be wiser to pass on the discount.

2. What are the potential risks of borrowing money for a discount?

The main risk is that you may end up paying more in interest and fees than the actual discount you receive. Additionally, if you are unable to pay back the borrowed money on time, it can negatively impact your credit score and lead to further financial difficulties. It is important to carefully consider the terms and potential consequences before making a decision.

3. Are there any alternatives to borrowing money for a discount?

Yes, there are alternative options such as saving up for the discounted item or finding a cheaper alternative. You could also consider negotiating with the seller for a lower price instead of borrowing money. It may take longer, but it can save you from potential debt and interest charges.

4. How can I determine if borrowing money for a discount is a good idea?

You can start by evaluating your current financial situation and determining if you have enough income to comfortably pay back the borrowed money. It is also important to consider the interest rates and fees associated with borrowing and whether or not the discount is significant enough to outweigh these costs. It may also be helpful to discuss the decision with a financial advisor.

5. What should I do if I am considering borrowing money for a discount?

If you are seriously considering borrowing money for a discount, it is important to thoroughly research and understand the terms and potential consequences. You should also consider your other financial obligations and determine if borrowing is the best decision for your overall financial health. If you are unsure, it may be helpful to seek advice from a financial professional.