How should I interpret this question?

In summary: Suppose we are given a function $f(t)$ and we are asked to find a derivative. In that case, we would do something like this:\frac{d}{dt}\left(f(t)\right)In summary, the person is asking how to calculate a function for three different values of $v_1$, $v_2$, and $v_3$, using $p(t)$ as an input. They interpret it as a problem in linear algebra where they are given an expression and are asked to find a derivative.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
Tell me how you understand this question. I've removed the details of the calculation to focus on the language and how certain ideas should be expressed. I know it's a weird thing to ask so just try to answer how you can.

Calculate __________ for each $v_1, v_2, v_3$ and $p(t)$.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would interpret that as we are given some $f(v_1,v_2,v_3,p(t))$ and a list of possible values for the 4 independent variables for which we are to compute $f$.

I would interpret it as calculating some function $f(v, t)$ three times, using $v = v_1$, $v = v_2$, and $v = v_3$, with $p(t)$ being used inside $f(v, t)$. In other words, I read: Calculate $f(v, t)$ in terms of $p(t)$ for $v = v_1$, $v_2$, and $v_3$, for some $f$.​

But without the context of the actual calculation, it's hard to be certain, especially when the question is written in plain English like this. In formal notation, there would be no ambiguity, for instance, but in English, it could have many different interpretations.​

Great responses guys but let me rephrase a bit. I'm really focused on the structure of questions that have the form "For each _________ and __." This came from a linear algebra question so let's try this:

Calculate ________ for $1+t^2, 2-t+3t^2, 4+t$ and $p(t)$.

That strikes me as you are given an expression containing some $f(t)$, and the first 3 cases give you an explicit function definition for $f$, while in the last you are to use a general function. For example, suppose in a Calc I course, the student is instructed that for each given $f(t)$, that are to compute:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(g^n(f(t)) \right)\) and so they would do the following:

First, the student would find via the power and chain rules:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(g^n(f(t)) \right)=ng^{n-1}(f(t))\cdot f'(t)\)

i) \(\displaystyle f(t)=1+t^2\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(g^n(1+t^2) \right)=ng^{n-1}(1+t^2)\cdot(2t)\)

ii) \(\displaystyle f(t)=2-t+3t^2\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(g^n(2-t+3t^2) \right)=ng^{n-1}(2-t+3t^2)\cdot(6t-1)\)

iii) \(\displaystyle f(t)=4+t\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(g^n(4+t) \right)=ng^{n-1}(4+t)\cdot(1)\)

iv) \(\displaystyle f(t)=p(t)\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dt}\left(g^n(p(t)) \right)=ng^{n-1}(p(t))\cdot p'(t)\)

Your post completely answers how you interpret this, so thank you! There are two interpretations that I see and I want to give it a little more time before I explain so I'll post tomorrow and clarify what's going on. Hopefully someone else can think of another example for this problem and interpret it as he or she sees it too.

Here's one thing to ponder and again, sorry this is cryptic but I don't want to influence your thoughts too much:

Are there 4 terms or 3 terms to calculate?

Related to How should I interpret this question?

1. What is the purpose of interpreting a question?

Interpreting a question allows us to understand the underlying meaning and intent of the question being asked. It helps us to provide a more accurate and relevant response.

2. What are some common techniques for interpreting a question?

Some common techniques for interpreting a question include breaking down the question into smaller parts, identifying keywords and their relationships, and considering the context in which the question is being asked.

3. How can we ensure that our interpretation of a question is accurate?

To ensure that our interpretation of a question is accurate, we can ask for clarification if needed, consider the tone and body language of the person asking the question, and double-check our understanding by restating the question in our own words.

4. Can interpretation of a question vary among individuals?

Yes, interpretation of a question can vary among individuals based on their individual perspectives, knowledge, and understanding of the topic at hand. This is why it is important to consider different viewpoints and communicate clearly when asking or answering a question.

5. How does interpretation of a question relate to the scientific method?

The scientific method involves asking questions, making observations, and drawing conclusions. Interpretation of a question is a crucial step in this process, as it helps us to accurately frame our inquiries and understand the data and evidence collected in our research.