How open are postdoc positions - and teaching during postdoc

In summary, postdocs may have varying levels of autonomy depending on their funding and the expectations of their supervisor. Some may have the opportunity to write their own grants and choose their own research direction, while others may be limited to working on existing projects. Teaching opportunities during postdoc positions may also vary, with some institutions allowing it and others not. Ultimately, the level of autonomy as a postdoc will depend on the individual circumstances and field of research.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Do post-docs typically write their own grants and choose their own reserach direction within their field? Can you offer to teach a new course if you can import a well-known framework from another university? How free are you to engage in this kind of autonomy as a postdoc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on your funding.

If you get your own grant, then read carefully the conditions. If a professor is paying you, then ask him/her.

I know a couple of postdocs who have to teach, a couple of postdocs who can't teach, and a few who can decide for themselves.

Corpuscule said:
I know a couple of postdocs who have to teach, a couple of postdocs who can't teach, and a few who can decide for themselves.

Thanks, it's good to know that there's that kind of diversity out there.

If I wanted to teach during my postdoc, I would have had to do it an a different institution as an adjunct. Mine wouldn't allow it. Obviously if you are doing a postdoc at a place like a national lab or in industry, you'll definitely have to teach somewhere else.

As far as grants and research direction, again, I'd say it depends. Often times in experimental physics, you are only hired once money is already secured, so you are working on someone else's already submitted grant. Depending on your boss, you might have more or less flexibility about the specifics of the research, and you will probably be expected to contribute to future proposals.

Outside of experimental physics, I would think it could be different. I would imagine doing theory or computation, there's a lot more room to submit your own little side grants, and I've heard that in fields like bio, there is an expectation that you need to support your own salary relatively quickly with your own grants as a postdoc.

So, it depends.

It would be theoretical neuroscience in my case (so computation+bio) but I leave it general for other users.

Related to How open are postdoc positions - and teaching during postdoc

1. What is a postdoc position?

A postdoc position is a temporary research position that typically follows the completion of a PhD degree. Postdocs are typically hired by universities or research institutions to conduct research in a specific field and gain additional experience before pursuing a permanent academic or research position.

2. Are postdoc positions open to everyone?

No, postdoc positions are typically open only to individuals who have completed a PhD degree in a related field. Some positions may also require specific skills or expertise that align with the research project.

3. How do I find open postdoc positions?

Postdoc positions are typically advertised on university and research institution websites, as well as on job search engines and academic job boards. You can also reach out to individual professors or research groups directly to inquire about open positions.

4. Can I teach during a postdoc?

Yes, many postdoc positions involve both research and teaching responsibilities. However, the specific teaching duties may vary depending on the institution and the individual postdoc position. It is important to clarify the expectations for teaching when applying for a postdoc position.

5. How long do postdoc positions typically last?

Postdoc positions are usually temporary and can range from 1-3 years, with the average length being 2 years. However, the duration of a postdoc position may vary depending on the specific project and the funding available.