Help:Calculation of decay/sec using t1/2 & No

• Thread starter immuno
  • Start date
In summary, the unstable isotope 40K is used to know the age of old rocks formed from molten lava. The half-life of 40K is 1.28 x 10^9 years, and it decays to 40Ar, which is a gas. When the rock is solidified, the gas 40Ar formed by decomposition of 40K is trapped inside the rock.
immuno

Homework Statement

The unstable isotope 40K is used to know the age of old rocks formed from molten lava. The half-life of 40K is 1.28 x 10^9 years, and it decays to 40Ar, which is a gas. In the molten rock, all gas escapes, so there is no Ar. However, when the rock is solidified, the gas 40Ar formed by decomposition of 40K is trapped inside the rock.

a)How many decays per second occur in a sample containing 1.63 x 10^-6 g of 40K?

b) What is the activity of the sample in Curies?

c)If the number of 40Ar atoms in the piece of rock is the same as the number of 40K atoms, what is the age of the rock?

Solution: a)0.421 Bq;b) 1.14 x 10-11 Ci;c) 1.28 x 109 years

Homework Equations

A= (decay constant) * No * e ^ -(decay constant) * t1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

A= (0.693/1.28 * 10^9) * 1.63 * 10^-6 * 2.718 ^ -(decay constant) * t1/2
A= 882.492

I attempted to solve part A but was unsuccessful. From some web resources e is approx 2.718. Is this correct? What is e?

I know to convert Bq to Ci, it's Bq * 2.70*10^−11, is this correct? My answer to Part A is wrong hence i couldn't solve for part B.

I'm really bad at physics and it would be good if the explanation of the formula could be provided.

I know A is the activity, t1/2 is the half life, decay constant= 0.693/t1/2, No is the initial quantity but what is e?

Greatly appreciate all inputs!

Physics news on Phys.org
immuno said:

Homework Equations

A= (decay constant) * No * e ^ -(decay constant) * t1/2
Huh? [tex]A = \lambda N[/tex], where N is the number of atoms of K-40. From there, its just an issue of chucking the numbers in. Though, please watch your units carefully...1.28 x 10^9 is in years and 1.63 x 10^-6 is in grams

Fightfish said:
Huh? [tex]A = \lambda N[/tex], where N is the number of atoms of K-40. From there, its just an issue of chucking the numbers in. Though, please watch your units carefully...1.28 x 10^9 is in years and 1.63 x 10^-6 is in grams

Ok, so i use [tex]A = \lambda N[/tex] instead of the one I've provided? Is there any difference between the two formula?

So i convert years to seconds? And let grams remain as grams?

From what I think you provided,
[tex]A = \lambda N = \lambda N_{0} e^{-\lambda t}[/tex]
This describes how the activity of the sample varies with time. In this case, time does not factor in, for we are already given N at that particular time.

Yes, you convert years to seconds. Its up to you whether to leave it as grams or not; as long as you correctly obtain the number of atoms of K-40. Do you know how to get that?

Related to Help:Calculation of decay/sec using t1/2 & No

What is the formula for calculating decay per second using half-life and initial quantity?

The formula for calculating decay per second using half-life (t1/2) and initial quantity (N0) is:

Decay/sec = N0 / t1/2

How do I convert a given half-life to seconds?

To convert a given half-life from minutes, hours, or days to seconds, you can use the following conversion factors:

1 minute = 60 seconds

1 hour = 3600 seconds

1 day = 86,400 seconds

Can I use any unit of time for the half-life in the calculation?

Yes, as long as the unit of time for the half-life is consistent with the unit of time used for the decay per second result. For example, if the half-life is given in days, the decay per second result should also be in days.

What is the relationship between half-life and the rate of decay?

The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial quantity of a substance to decay. The rate of decay is the amount of substance that decays per unit of time. Therefore, the shorter the half-life, the faster the rate of decay.

Can the calculation of decay per second using half-life and initial quantity be used for any type of decay?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of exponential decay, as long as the decay rate remains constant over time.