How Much Work Is Done in Adiabatic Compression of Gas?

In summary, work in thermodynamics is defined as the transfer of energy due to a force acting over a distance. It is related to the first law of thermodynamics as any work done on or by a system will cause a change in its internal energy. The formula for calculating work is W = F * d * cosθ, and it can be negative when the force is opposite to the direction of motion. Work is also related to the second law of thermodynamics as it contributes to the increase of a system's entropy over time.
v_pino

Homework Statement

When a volume 10^-3 m^3 of a certain gas at a pressure of 1 atm undergoes a reversible adiabatic compression to half its volume, its pressure rises by a factor of three. The internal energy of the gas is given by E=3PV, where P is the pressure and V is the volume. By making use of the first law of thermodynamics, or otherwise, calculate how much work is done on the gas to perform the compression.

Answer: 152 J

Homework Equations

(1) I tried writing E=E(V,T) or E=E(P,T).

(2) First law of thermodynamics: dE=dQ+dW

The Attempt at a Solution

dQ = 0 for reversible process.
I differentiated (1) but had no way of getting T.

Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
v_pino said:

Homework Statement

When a volume 10^-3 m^3 of a certain gas at a pressure of 1 atm undergoes a reversible adiabatic compression to half its volume, its pressure rises by a factor of three. The internal energy of the gas is given by E=3PV, where P is the pressure and V is the volume. By making use of the first law of thermodynamics, or otherwise, calculate how much work is done on the gas to perform the compression.

Answer: 152 J

Homework Equations

(1) I tried writing E=E(V,T) or E=E(P,T).

(2) First law of thermodynamics: dE=dQ+dW

The Attempt at a Solution

dQ = 0 for reversible process.
I differentiated (1) but had no way of getting T.

Am I on the right track?
Yes. You know that there was no heat input into the gas, because the process is adiabatic. Therefore the change in internal energy of the gas is entirely due to work done on the gas:

[tex]dE=dW[/tex]

Applying this statement, along with the equation given in the problem should be enough to get you to the answer.

I'm getting 150J instead of 152J as given in the answer. I substituted V1 and P1 into equation of E to get E1 and substituted V2 and P2 into equation of E to get E2.

E1 = 300 and E2 = 450.

Subtracting E1 from E2 gives 150J.

v_pino said:
I'm getting 150J instead of 152J as given in the answer. I substituted V1 and P1 into equation of E to get E1 and substituted V2 and P2 into equation of E to get E2.

E1 = 300 and E2 = 450.

Subtracting E1 from E2 gives 150J.

That's fine. You're doing the problem correctly. You're just rounding. Thus, the answer you get is rounded. I compute, using the same method:

E1=303.98J E2=455.96J Thus, W~152J

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track. To find the work done on the gas during the compression, you can use the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy (dE) of a system is equal to the heat added (dQ) to the system minus the work done (dW) by the system. In this case, since the process is adiabatic, there is no heat added (dQ=0). Therefore, the work done on the gas is equal to the change in internal energy (dE).

To find the change in internal energy, you can use the given equation E=3PV and substitute in the values for the initial and final pressures and volumes. The initial pressure is 1 atm and the initial volume is 10^-3 m^3. The final volume is half of the initial volume, or 5x10^-4 m^3. The final pressure is given as three times the initial pressure, so it is 3 atm.

Substituting these values into the equation, we get:
dE=(3x3 atm)(5x10^-4 m^3)-(3x1 atm)(10^-3 m^3) = 152 J

Therefore, the work done on the gas during the compression is 152 J.

Related to How Much Work Is Done in Adiabatic Compression of Gas?

1. What is the definition of work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the energy transferred to or from a system due to a force acting on the system over a distance.

2. How is work related to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant. This means that any work done on or by the system must result in a change in the internal energy of the system.

3. What is the formula for calculating work done in thermodynamics?

The formula for calculating work done in thermodynamics is W = F * d * cosθ, where W is work, F is the force applied, d is the distance over which the force is applied, and θ is the angle between the force and the direction of motion.

4. Can work be negative in thermodynamics?

Yes, work can be negative in thermodynamics. This occurs when the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of motion, resulting in the system losing energy instead of gaining it.

5. How is work related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time. This means that any work done on a system will result in an increase in the system's entropy.