How much will it weigh at the equator?

• Thread starter huybinhs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equator
In summary: Then where... would be 9.77?I don't know, but it seems like that's the equation. Thanks for the help!
huybinhs

Homework Statement

Take the Earth to be a perfect sphere of 1.274×107 m. If an object has a weight of 96.9 N while on a scale at the south pole, how much will it weigh at the equator? take the equatorial spin speed to be 465 m/s.

Homework Equations

No ideas.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no ideas where to start. Please help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by drawing a free-body diagram of a person standing at the equator. Remember that part of gravity goes into providing the centripetal force.

ideasrule said:
Start by drawing a free-body diagram of a person standing at the equator. Remember that part of gravity goes into providing the centripetal force.

Ok. I got:

a = v^2 / r = 465^2 / (6378100) = 0.0321 m/s^2 (I took 6378.1 km as radious. Is this still correct?)

If yes, then:

m = F / a = 96.9 / 0.0321 = 3020 kg. Correct?

Just submited 3020 kg, and the system stating "INCORRECT". Please help!

huybinhs said:
Ok. I got:

a = v^2 / r = 465^2 / (6378100) = 0.0321 m/s^2 (I took 6378.1 km as radious. Is this still correct?)

If yes, then:

m = F / a = 96.9 / 0.0321 = 3020 kg. Correct?

No. You haven't drawn a free-body diagram. Do that, label all forces, and write out Newton's second law before doing anything else.

If the person is standing at the equator, then force of gravity will be equal 0. Is this correct?

any one?

huybinhs said:
If the person is standing at the equator, then force of gravity will be equal 0. Is this correct?

Do you really think there's no gravity for people at the equator? The people there don't just float around.

ideasrule said:
Do you really think there's no gravity for people at the equator? The people there don't just float around.

You r right. It still has gravity even at the equator. What should I do next please?

Again, draw a free-body diagram, label all the forces, and write down Newton's second law. If you've done any of these steps, you haven't shown them here.

ideasrule said:
Again, draw a free-body diagram, label all the forces, and write down Newton's second law. If you've done any of these steps, you haven't shown them here.

There will be 2 forces in the diagram: gravity and the normal force. The normal force represents the apparent weight of the of the object = 96.9 N.

the acceleration of the object = v2 / r = 4652 / (1.274×10^7 /2) = 0.03394 m/s^2.

Then I got equation forces:

96.9 - m (0.03394) => m = 2855 kg. Then my normal force = 2855 * 9.780 = 27922 N = final answer. (Note that 9.780 is gravity at equator). Is this correct?

huybinhs said:
There will be 2 forces in the diagram: gravity and the normal force. The normal force represents the apparent weight of the of the object = 96.9 N.

The normal force is the apparent weight of the object, but it isn't 96.9N. That's the normal force at the pole, which is just equal to mg since Earth's rotation has no effect there. From this you can find m, and from there the normal force at the equator (which is what the question asks for).

the acceleration of the object = v2 / r = 4652 / (1.274×10^7 /2) = 0.03394 m/s^2.

Seems right.

Then I got equation forces:

96.9 - m (0.03394) => m = 2855 kg. Then my normal force = 2855 * 9.780 = 27922 N = final answer. (Note that 9.780 is gravity at equator). Is this correct?

Where's your Newton's second law? Newton's second law says Fnet=ma. Fnet is composed of two forces: the normal force and gravity. a is just the acceleration that you calculated earlier.

ideasrule said:
The normal force is the apparent weight of the object, but it isn't 96.9N. That's the normal force at the pole, which is just equal to mg since Earth's rotation has no effect there. From this you can find m, and from there the normal force at the equator (which is what the question asks for).

Seems right.

Where's your Newton's second law? Newton's second law says Fnet=ma. Fnet is composed of two forces: the normal force and gravity. a is just the acceleration that you calculated earlier.

Ok. So, 96.9 = mg => m = 96.9 / 9.81 = 9.88 kg.

Fnet = ma <=> 96.9 - mg = ma <=> 96.9 -(9.88) * g = 9.88 * 0.03394

=> g = 9.77 m/s^2 => F at equator = 96.5 N which less than F at the south poles. Is this correct?

How would the equation be set up to get g = 9.77 m/s^2?

I have different numbers, but I was just curious how the equation would look on the other side of g.

Then where did you plug g back into?

mparsons06 said:
How would the equation be set up to get g = 9.77 m/s^2?

I have different numbers, but I was just curious how the equation would look on the other side of g.

Then where did you plug g back into?

After I found out my g is 9.77 m/s^2. I use the equation F at equator = m*a = 9.77 * 9.88 = 96.5 N . Hope this helps!

huybinhs said:
After I found out my g is 9.77 m/s^2. I use the equation F at equator = m*a = 9.77 * 9.88 = 96.5 N . Hope this helps!

How did you get the 9.77?

Is it like:

96.9 - (9.88) * g = (9.88)(0.03394)
g = (9.88)(0.03394)/96.9 - 9.88

I'm so confused??

mparsons06 said:
How did you get the 9.77?

Is it like:

96.9 - (9.88) * g = (9.88)(0.03394)
g = (9.88)(0.03394)/96.9 - 9.88

I'm so confused??

96.9 -(9.88)g = 9.88 * 0.03394 => -9.88g = 0.33353 - 96.9 => g = 96.56 / 9.88 = 9.77 m/s^2. Hope this helps! ;)

I get it now. Thank you.

Do you know how to start out problem #2?

mparsons06 said:
I get it now. Thank you.

Do you know how to start out problem #2?

Please check your inbox ;)

Related to How much will it weigh at the equator?

1. How does the Earth's rotation affect an object's weight at the equator?

The Earth's rotation causes centrifugal force, which pushes objects towards the equator, making them weigh slightly less than they would at the poles.

2. Is the weight of an object at the equator affected by the Earth's obliquity?

No, the Earth's obliquity (tilt) does not have a significant effect on an object's weight at the equator.

3. How does the equatorial bulge of the Earth impact an object's weight?

The equatorial bulge of the Earth, caused by its rotation, results in a slightly greater distance from the center of the Earth to the equator. This can cause objects at the equator to weigh slightly less than they would at the poles.

4. Does the altitude of the object have an impact on its weight at the equator?

Yes, the higher the altitude of an object at the equator, the less it will weigh due to the decrease in gravitational pull at higher altitudes.

5. How much of a difference in weight can be expected at the equator compared to the poles?

The difference in weight at the equator compared to the poles is very small, usually only about 0.5% of an object's total weight.