How Much Power Is Needed to Lift a 1kg Object to 1 Meter?

• Thread starter Nibesh sharma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, the conversation revolved around calculating the power required to lift a 1kg magnetic object, facing the like poles of an electromagnet, to a height of 1 meter. The problem was underdefined, as there was no information about the material of the object or the specifications of the electromagnet. It was suggested that the task may not be achievable due to the distance and type of materials involved. The conversation was eventually closed with no solution.
Nibesh sharma
OP warned about not having an attempt at a solution

Homework Statement

How much power is required to lift the object A from the base B to a height of 1 meter if the given object A weighs 1 kilogram?

Homework Equations

No idea

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A very very confused what to do about this question..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 375
Physics news on Phys.org
Nibesh sharma said:

Homework Equations

No idea

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A very very confused what to do about this question..
That's something you are supposed to avoid.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=686781
You are asked to lift an object using an electromagnet. Is object A a permanent magnet? Please state the complete problem clearly.

Likes Bystander
Surely you can find relevant equations. Also, are you sure that the problem statement is correct: you are asked to calculate the power?

cnh1995 said:
That's something you are supposed to avoid.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=686781
You are asked to lift an object using an electromagnet. Is object A a permanent magnet? Please state the complete problem clearly.
Assume object A is magnetic material having same pole of the electromagnet's surface it's exposed to.

DrClaude said:
Surely you can find relevant equations. Also, are you sure that the problem statement is correct: you are asked to calculate the power?
Yes calculate the power required if the object A is a magnetic material and it is facing the electromagnet with like poles exposed towards the magnet

Nibesh sharma said:
Yes calculate the power
Power is Joules/second. There is no mention of time in your problem.

cnh1995 said:
The problem is now clearer. It is no the power to lift, but to maintain the height against gravity.

Likes cnh1995
DrClaude said:
The problem is now clearer. It is no the power to lift, but to maintain the height against gravity.
Right! I was about to delete that but I can't..

cnh1995 said:
Okay take it this way then... How many watts is it going to take for the electromagnet(if you need to know anything about the specs of magnet just ask) to complete the task?

Nibesh sharma said:
Now the solution would be?
As I posted in your other thread, this is not the way things work here. You have to put in some effort.

I think that your problem is way underdefined. We have no idea what material the hovering object is made of, are any characteristic of the electromagnet.

Okay
DrClaude said:
As I posted in your other thread, this is not the way things work here. You have to put in some effort.

I think that your problem is way underdefined. We have no idea what material the hovering object is made of, are any characteristic of the electromagnet.
okay, the time is 1 sec and the electromagnet's specs is what I'm Trynna figure out here... I want to know what the electromagnets power output should be..

DrClaude said:

And the material like I already mentioned: it's magnetic, and if facing the electromagnet as such the like poles of material and magnet are facing each other. I don't know how can I be more clearer atm.

Nibesh sharma said:
And the material like I already mentioned: it's magnetic, and if facing the electromagnet as such the like poles of material and magnet are facing each other. I don't know how can I be more clearer atm.
Maybe you mean unlike poles face each other?

Whatever the case, I don't think anyone will be able to come up with an answer for you. You want a magnet so strong that it will reach across 1 m of air to hold a 1kg weight in place, so say 10N at that distance. Magnets work best through narrow gaps of air. The big electromagnets on the end of cranes in metal scrapyards might not even manage your task.

NascentOxygen said:
Maybe you mean unlike poles face each other?
I think the idea is the electromagnet is on the bottom and repelling the object while gravity is pulling down on the object, so you want the same poles facing each other.

There is no simple calculation for what you are asking, and it is most probably not achievable.

Thread closed.

Related to How Much Power Is Needed to Lift a 1kg Object to 1 Meter?

1. How is power measured?

Power is measured in watts (W), which is equal to one joule (J) of energy per second. This unit is used to quantify the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred.

2. What factors determine the amount of power required?

The amount of power required depends on several factors, including the amount of work to be done, the time frame in which it needs to be done, and the efficiency of the system or device being used.

3. How do you calculate the power required?

Power can be calculated by dividing the amount of work done by the time it takes to do it. The formula for power is P = W/t, where P is power in watts, W is work in joules, and t is time in seconds.

4. What is the difference between power and energy?

Power and energy are related, but they are not the same. Power is the rate at which energy is used or transferred, while energy is the capacity to do work. Power is measured in watts, while energy is measured in joules.

5. How does power consumption affect the environment?

Power consumption can have a significant impact on the environment, as it often involves the burning of fossil fuels, which releases greenhouse gases and contributes to climate change. It is important to use power efficiently and consider alternative, renewable sources of energy to minimize the negative effects on the environment.