How much time it takes to know all physics concepts?

In summary, it will likely take a few years to learn all of the required physics concepts if you want to do research in these areas.
VinayS
I have completed my engineering by now. I have decided to continue my further studies in Mathematics and to be aware of all physics concepts required for research. How can I study all physics concepts from home and what time would it take for me ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Research in what field?

Nobody can learn "all physics concepts". Once you get past a certain point, you have to specialize, because there's too much for one person to know.

Likes russ_watters
Drakkith said:
Research in what field?
Research in advanced physics, astronomy, space science and cosmology

Khashishi said:
Nobody can learn "all physics concepts". Once you get past a certain point, you have to specialize, because there's too much for one person to know.
Yes that's right. Its not possible to know all concepts.
But i want to be aware of physics concepts needed for higher studies and research.

It is impossible. There's simply too much to know. If you've been trained as an engineer, then go be an engineer. If you want to be an astrophysicist, then go back to school to become an astrophysicist.

Rakesh Mittal, I'm not sure you're asking the question that you actually want an answer to. I suspect what you're really trying to ask is how much time is it going to take you to build a foundation strong enough that you can do research in these areas. Obviously a lot of that is going to depend on how much you are comfortable now, what other demands there are on your time, and how quickly you learn things.

Typically people start getting to the point where they can start doing mentored research about a year or so into their graduate studies. That's after having done a 4 year degree of full time study as an undergraduate. And even then, the research is very focussed in one area, and it requires a large degree of input from a supervisor who conducts independent research in the field.

Studying on your own, without mentorship is very difficult, because you don't have much by way of feedback to know if you're understanding things properly or not. That's not so say it's impossible, but if you're really serious about mastering physics to the point where you can do research in these areas, you should seriously consider graduate studies.

Likes VinayS
It's pretty difficult to learn all Physics concepts because not only are there so many but there are probably just as many, or more, which we don't know about yet. Since you're such an eager beaver, start discovering a few of your own. There's a statue in Stockholm waiting for you if you do...

Related to How much time it takes to know all physics concepts?

1. How much time does it typically take to learn all physics concepts?

It varies from person to person and depends on factors such as prior knowledge, study habits, and dedication. On average, it can take several years to fully grasp all physics concepts.

2. Is there a specific order in which physics concepts should be learned?

Yes, physics concepts are typically taught in a hierarchical manner, with foundational concepts being learned before more complex ones. However, the order may vary depending on the curriculum or individual learning style.

3. Can I learn all physics concepts on my own, or do I need a teacher?

It is possible to learn physics concepts on your own, but having a teacher or mentor can greatly aid in understanding and clarifying difficult concepts. Additionally, having access to resources such as textbooks and online tutorials can also be helpful.

4. What is the best way to study and retain all physics concepts?

The best way to study and retain physics concepts is through a combination of active learning techniques such as practice problems, concept mapping, and teaching others. Regular review and reinforcement of concepts is also key to long-term retention.

5. Are there any shortcuts to learning all physics concepts quickly?

No, there are no shortcuts to fully understanding all physics concepts. It takes time, effort, and consistent practice to fully grasp the complexities of the subject. Attempting to rush the learning process may result in a superficial understanding of the concepts.