How much thermal energy it takes to raise the temperature

In summary: Kinetic energy is converted to thermal energy when the two meet. To find out how much thermal energy is required to raise the temperature of the atmosphere by 1 degree Celsius, you would need to know the specific heat capacity of the atmosphere, the mass of the atmosphere, and the quantity of heat in joules that is converted from kinetic energy.
forumasker
It's not really homework, it's more of my own testing of a hypothesis, but I don't really know where else to put it.
I need a way to convert kinetic energy directly to thermal energy as find out how much thermal energy it takes to raise the temperature of the atmosphere 1 degree, or I guess Earth's atmosphere's specific heat.

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok, I am not really sure what your asking. I guess that the most efficent way to convert Kinetic energy into Thermal energy would be through some form of Hyrdaulic Friction, but this could never be 100% efficent as some energy would be converted into sound.

As for the whole Thermal energy atmosphere thing, i guess the best way to go would be to find the Specific heat capacity of the atmosphere (c), the mass of the atmosphere (M) and the quantity of heat in Joules that is converted from kinetic energy (q). Then apply these to the Equation:

q=McT (with T being the change in temperature - Hope this Helps :)

Now I've finished writing this i suddenly realize that this thread shouldn't be in the coursework section of the forum. For future reference please put questions like this in the Physics section of the website.

Saxby said:
Ok, I am not really sure what your asking. I guess that the most efficent way to convert Kinetic energy into Thermal energy would be through some form of Hyrdaulic Friction, but this could never be 100% efficent as some energy would be converted into sound.

As for the whole Thermal energy atmosphere thing, i guess the best way to go would be to find the Specific heat capacity of the atmosphere (c), the mass of the atmosphere (M) and the quantity of heat in Joules that is converted from kinetic energy (q). Then apply these to the Equation:

q=McT (with T being the change in temperature - Hope this Helps :)

Now I've finished writing this i suddenly realize that this thread shouldn't be in the coursework section of the forum. For future reference please put questions like this in the Physics section of the website.

Huh, I thought this topic got deleted since i couldn't find it before...I have another topic if you want to continue on that one...
Specific heat...So I would need at least 3 variables to be filled in for it to be useful, but how am I suppose to predict the temperature change and how much joules that it's suppose to convert to if I am using that equation to find out how many joules the kinetic energy equals at once?
Unless your saying I just plug in my value for kinetic energy in place of "q"? Or how do I convert kinetic energy into thermal energy or "joules"? I never really understood how to use specific heat. I know that its suppose to tell you the amount of energy required to raise a mass 1 degree or something like that, but that's it...

The mass of Earth's atmosphere is approximately
5.3 × 10^18 kg

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/LouiseLiu.shtmlI don't know what the temperature change is, I'm trying to predict that...
I don't know the specific heat capacity...
I don't know how many joules I have which is currently in the form of kinetic energy...

Unless maybe kinetic energy and joules are that much of the same thing that I can use kinetic energy as joules?

Last edited:

1 joule of any energy, is equal to 1 joule of any other energy. So you can simply put in your value for kinetic energy (q).

Specific heat capacity is the amount of energy it takes increase the temperature of 1kg of a material by 1ºC. I believe the specific heat capactiy of dry air is 1.006 kJ/kgC. But this would not be constant throughout the entire atmosphere of the world.

I can provide some information and guidance on your experiment. The amount of thermal energy required to raise the temperature of a substance is dependent on its specific heat capacity. This is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.

In order to convert kinetic energy directly to thermal energy, you would need to use a process called friction. This involves rubbing or colliding two objects together, which converts their kinetic energy into heat. However, the amount of thermal energy produced will also depend on the specific heat capacity of the objects involved.

To determine the specific heat capacity of Earth's atmosphere, you would need to conduct controlled experiments in a laboratory setting. This would involve measuring the mass of the atmosphere and then applying a known amount of kinetic energy to it, such as through friction or other means, and measuring the resulting temperature change. By manipulating the variables and repeating the experiment multiple times, you can calculate the specific heat capacity of Earth's atmosphere.

It's important to note that the specific heat capacity of Earth's atmosphere may vary depending on factors such as altitude, composition, and humidity. So, your experiment would need to be carefully designed and controlled to accurately measure the specific heat capacity of the entire atmosphere.

I hope this information helps guide your experiment and hypothesis testing. Remember to always follow proper scientific methods and consult with other experts in the field for further guidance. Good luck with your research!

Related to How much thermal energy it takes to raise the temperature

1. How is thermal energy measured?

Thermal energy is typically measured in joules (J) or calories (cal).

2. What factors affect the amount of thermal energy required to raise the temperature?

The amount of thermal energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance depends on its mass, its specific heat capacity, and the initial and final temperatures.

3. How does the type of substance affect the amount of thermal energy needed?

Different substances have different specific heat capacities, which means they require different amounts of thermal energy to raise their temperature by the same amount.

4. Is it possible to calculate the amount of thermal energy needed to raise the temperature?

Yes, the amount of thermal energy needed can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of thermal energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is its specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. How does the transfer of heat affect the amount of thermal energy needed?

The transfer of heat, such as through conduction, convection, or radiation, can affect the amount of thermal energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance. This is because some of the thermal energy may be lost or gained during the transfer process.