How Much Power Does a Sprinter Generate in a Race?

In summary, the sprinter, starting from rest, runs 46.0 m in 7.30 s at constant acceleration. The magnitude of the horizontal force acting on the sprinter is 82.9 N. The sprinter's power output at 1.70 s is 121.55 W.
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

A 48.0 kg sprinter, starting from rest, runs 46.0 m in 7.30 s at constant acceleration.

a) What is the magnitude of the horizontal force acting on the sprinter?

b) What is the sprinter's power output at 1.70 s?

Homework Equations

[tex]x=x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]\vec{F}=ma[/tex]
[tex]v=v_0 + at[/tex]
[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
[tex]P=\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I first used [tex]x=x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] to find the acceleration of the sprinter:

[tex]x=x_0 + v_0 t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]46=0 + 0(7.3) + \frac{1}{2}a(7.3)^2[/tex]
[tex]a=1.726 m/s^2[/tex]

With the acceleration, I stuck it into Newton's Second Law and found the force.

[tex]\vec{F}=ma[/tex]
[tex]\vec{F}=48(1.726)[/tex]
[tex]\vec{F}=82.9 N[/tex]

My answer for part A was correct.

Part B is where I am having some difficulties. First I got the velocity of the runner at [tex]1.7 sec[/tex]:

[tex]v=v_0 + at[/tex]
[tex]v=0 + (1.726)(1.7)[/tex]
[tex]v=2.934 m/s[/tex]

I then calculated the amount of work done by calculating the kinetic energy, which I used because the sprinter is running and in motion.

[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}mv^2[/tex]
[tex]KE=\frac{1}{2}(48)(2.934)^2[/tex]
[tex]KE=206.6 J[/tex]

Then to calculate power, I took the change in the kinetic energy (0 J to 206.6 J) and divided it by the change in time.

[tex]P=\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t}[/tex]
[tex]P=\frac{206.6}{1.7}[/tex]
[tex]P=121.55 W[/tex]

That answer was marked incorrect. I then tried to add the horizontal force (the answer to part A), which added up to 204.45 W and that was also incorrect.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I figured it out.

I did P=F*v which gave me the correct answer.

Related to How Much Power Does a Sprinter Generate in a Race?

What is sprinter's power output?

Sprinter's power output refers to the amount of power a sprinter is able to generate during a sprinting event. It is measured in watts and is a combination of strength, speed, and technique.

How is sprinter's power output measured?

Sprinter's power output can be measured using various methods such as force plates, jumping tests, and sprinting tests on a track. These tests measure the amount of force and speed generated by the sprinter's muscles.

What factors affect a sprinter's power output?

Some factors that can affect a sprinter's power output include their muscle strength, muscle fiber composition, technique, training, and nutrition. Genetics can also play a role in a sprinter's power output.

Why is sprinter's power output important?

Sprinter's power output is important because it directly correlates to their performance in sprinting events. The higher the power output, the faster the sprinter can run and the more likely they are to win races.

How can a sprinter increase their power output?

A sprinter can increase their power output through training methods such as plyometrics, strength training, and sprint-specific drills. Proper nutrition and rest are also important for optimizing power output. Working with a coach or trainer can also help improve technique and overall performance.