How Much Power Does a 30m Diameter Windmill Generate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the power generated by a large windmill, which entrains a stream of air at a certain velocity and exits at a lower velocity. The pressure and change in height are not considered, so the only factors affecting the power are the initial and final velocities and the density of air. The power can be calculated by finding the mass flow rate using the given information and then using the equation for power (shaft work) to solve for it.
desi01

Homework Statement

In this era of high energy prices, there is a focus on renewable sources of energy such as wind energy. Consider a large windmill 30m in diameter. On a windy day, suppose that the windmill entrains a stream of air 25 m in diameter at a speed of 14 m/s. Downstream of the windmill, the entrained stream exits over a large diameter at a speed of 5 m/s. The pressure equals atmospheric pressure at both inlet and outlet. Density of air: ρ = 1.2 kg/m3

Find the power (in megawatts) generated by the windmill.

25r2ona.jpg

Homework Equations

1/2 Δ(v^2) + gΔz + (ΔPressure)/density + lost work + shaft work/mass flow rate = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that that is no change in Pressure and no lost work so those go to 0. I don't think that you would need the gΔz part either?? So basically I'm thinking plug in the velocities given and that would only leave shaft work which I'm solving for and mass flow rate. Now I don't know what velocity and area I would use for that either so that's where I'm stuck?? Am I headed in the right direction?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums. You're correct that gΔz is not needed (it is zero).

You can use the initial velocity and area, and density, to get the mass flow rate.

Also, note that "shaft work" would actually be power here.

Yes, you are on the right track. To calculate the power generated by the windmill, you will need to use the equation for mechanical energy balance. This equation takes into account the different forms of energy involved in a system, such as kinetic energy and potential energy, and balances them with the work done by or on the system.

In this case, the windmill is converting the kinetic energy of the entrained air into mechanical energy. The velocity and area of the air stream at the inlet and outlet will be important factors in calculating the mass flow rate and shaft work.

To determine the mass flow rate, you can use the equation: mass flow rate = density x velocity x area. In this case, the area will be the cross-sectional area of the air stream, so you will need to use the formula for the area of a circle (πr^2) to find the area.

Once you have the mass flow rate, you can use it to calculate the shaft work using the formula: shaft work = mass flow rate x (Δv^2)/2. This will give you the power generated by the windmill in watts. To convert to megawatts, divide by 1 million.

So to summarize, to find the power generated by the windmill, you will need to:

1. Calculate the mass flow rate using the density, velocity, and cross-sectional area of the air stream.
2. Use the mass flow rate to calculate the shaft work.
3. Divide the shaft work by 1 million to get the power in megawatts.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

Related to How Much Power Does a 30m Diameter Windmill Generate?

1. What is mechanical energy balance?

Mechanical energy balance refers to the principle of conservation of energy in mechanical systems. It states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, and energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is mechanical energy balance applied in real-world situations?

Mechanical energy balance is applied in various real-world situations, such as in the design of machines and structures, energy conversion processes, and the analysis of energy efficiency in industrial processes. It is also used in the development of renewable energy technologies and the optimization of energy use in transportation systems.

3. What are the types of mechanical energy?

The two main types of mechanical energy are kinetic energy and potential energy. Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position or state.

4. How can mechanical energy be conserved?

Mechanical energy can be conserved by minimizing energy losses through friction and heat, using efficient energy conversion processes, and implementing energy-saving practices. It is also important to properly maintain and repair mechanical systems to prevent energy loss.

5. What are some examples of mechanical energy balance in everyday life?

We encounter examples of mechanical energy balance in our daily lives, such as when we ride a bike, swing on a swing, or throw a ball. In these situations, our muscles provide the energy to move the objects, and the objects convert this energy into kinetic energy or potential energy. Other examples include using a lever or pulley to lift objects, using a windmill to generate electricity, or using a car engine to convert chemical energy into kinetic energy for motion.