How Much Physics Can You Feasibly Learn When Self-Studying?

In summary, the speaker started learning physics for fun by studying Maxwell's equations and expanding their understanding of electronics. They then turned to a physics textbook and have been making good progress, understanding derivations before moving on to the next topic. They are currently on page 263 of a 1500 page textbook and are curious about how much of physics is feasible to learn. The conversation also covers the importance of having a solid understanding of the basics in order to tackle more complex topics and the recommendation of certain textbooks for self-studying physics.
gibberingmouther
i started out learning physics for fun with maxwell's equations because partially i wanted to expand my understanding of electronics. i spiderwebbed around on the internet trying to learn the math to understand the equations. i learned some things but i still didn't have it all down before i decided last Friday to start going through a physics textbook i own. I've been making good progress since then working on it each day. i make sure to understand the derivation (algebraically, graphically, and conceptually - whatever that may mean exactly) before i move on to the next thing. so far i have gotten to the section on conservation of momentum and collisions. I've still got momentum (lol) so I'm going to keep going. it's fun! and i still have to take physics for my major so it'll help with that as well.

i'm on page 263 of an approximately 1500 page textbook. i know there's a lot to learn. after you've studied a certain amount of physics and math you develop a familiarity with it. i guess people who go on to do original work in physics (like for a phd) develop that familiarity and know just enough to extrapolate and do some new research? that's kind of how i imagine it working would you guys who know say that is accurate?

anyway, the idea for this thread came from those considerations and finally from looking at this link that contains a list of equations: https://physics.info/equations/

i mean, holy crap! that's a lot of equations. how much of it is feasible to learn? do you skip certain parts of it, like optics let's say, because you don't really need to know it?

Physics news on Phys.org
gibberingmouther said:
holy crap! that's a lot of equations.

It is not. Many of them are quite easy to derive from the basic principles. Some of them are plain stupid IMHO, it doesn't make sense to list two different forms when one is perfectly sufficient, as the other follows from the definition of the average value.

You don't have to remember how much is 345*876, it is enough to learn the basic multiplication table and methods to multiply any two numbers.

At the same time - there are way more equations, as many problems can be tackled using different methods. As long as they give the same result they are perfectly valid, but they can be quite different when it comes to methodology and calculations, and sometimes choosing the right approach is half of the success. But I doubt anyone knows them all, in every branch o physics, that's where specialization comes into play.

Likes gibberingmouther
Most graduate students I know keep a copy of major undergrad textbooks in their offices - there are always equations and concepts that you don't know, but that you can look up if necessary. I would partially agree that people who do "original work" in physics do have a familiarity with physics, but it's not some vague familiarity with the field in general, but a solid knowledge of the basics.

Here's an example - yesterday, for some work I'm doing, I was reading up on piezoelectric materials (their electrical properties change if you squeeze them, for instance). Because in undergrad I learned about how electric dipoles work and how atoms are arranged in different materials, understanding the concept took me 30 seconds. If I didn't have a firm knowledge of the basics, then encountering something outside my field of study would have crippled me.

I'm curious, can you tell us which textbook you are using? There are a standard few textbooks that we recommend here at PF for self-studying physics, and you might be making your life more difficult than necessary :)

Likes gibberingmouther
Dishsoap said:
I'm curious, can you tell us which textbook you are using? There are a standard few textbooks that we recommend here at PF for self-studying physics, and you might be making your life more difficult than necessary :)
i'm using Sears and Zemansky's "University Physics with Modern Physics". i like it a lot so far. i still use the internet for some things, like if i need more context about a derivation. I've done some of the problems (there are good already solved example problems in the book as well as many other suggested exercises). it seems like if you understand the concepts and equation derivations, doing the problems is not hard.

Likes PeroK
gibberingmouther said:
holy crap! that's a lot of equations
I agree with Borek: it's not much. And if you keep going the way you do you'll agree after a while. It's like learning languages: you don't read dictionaries from cover to cover, and a grammar isn't pleasant reading either. You laern a few things that help you learn other things and gradually you can read simple texts, then more complicated stuff. But the best way is to listen and talk -- projected on physics: read the text and do the exercises. PF is here for you when you get stuck :smile:

Hats off for your enterprise :cool: !

Good luck !

Likes gibberingmouther
You should have a calculus book as well. Calculus is the language of physics, learn it.

Related to How Much Physics Can You Feasibly Learn When Self-Studying?

1. How much physics can I learn when self-studying?

The amount of physics you can feasibly learn when self-studying will depend on your individual dedication, understanding, and study methods. With determination and a structured approach, it is possible to learn a significant amount of physics on your own.

2. What are the benefits of self-studying physics?

Self-studying physics allows for a flexible learning experience, as you can set your own pace and focus on topics that interest you the most. It also promotes independence and critical thinking skills, as you will be responsible for your own learning and problem-solving.

3. How can I effectively self-study physics?

To effectively self-study physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and to start with the basics before moving on to more complex concepts. It can also be helpful to use online resources, textbooks, and practice problems to reinforce your understanding.

4. Can self-studying physics prepare me for a career in the field?

While self-studying can provide a strong foundation in physics, it is recommended to also seek formal education and training if your goal is to pursue a career in the field. This will provide a more comprehensive and structured understanding of physics principles and applications.

5. Are there any limitations to self-studying physics?

Self-studying physics may have limitations in terms of access to resources and opportunities for hands-on learning and experimentation. It is also important to have a strong self-discipline and motivation to stay on track with your studies without a formal curriculum or deadlines.