How much math do you need for graduate study in physics?

In summary, these math classes are more than most physics students start with, but they are not necessary for a successful career in physics.
inknit
Are these math classes enough?

Calc II
Calc III
Ordinary Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Basic Real Analysis
Survey of Algebra
Advanced Calculus
Partial Differential Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
That's more than I had when starting physics grad school, although the actual math classes I was missing (calc III, advanced calc, real algebra) were covered at least in part by two semesters of 'math for physicists'.

eri said:
That's more than I had when starting physics grad school, although the actual math classes I was missing (calc III, advanced calc, real algebra) were covered at least in part by two semesters of 'math for physicists'.
You can get a major in physics without calc III?

I wish I can take more math, but I don't have enough room.

I've heard you need really advanced math classes like algebraic topology, and homology theory to be competitive at top schools. Is this true?

I managed to get through a couple of postdocs in experimental physics by knowing SOH,CAH,TOE

inknit said:
I wish I can take more math, but I don't have enough room.

I've heard you need really advanced math classes like algebraic topology, and homology theory to be competitive at top schools. Is this true?

I don't know where anyone would fit those courses in, and they also have prerequisites of their own. Usually you'd have to pick those up by self-study if your research requires it.

inknit said:
Are these math classes enough?

Calc II
Calc III
Ordinary Differential Equations
Linear Algebra
Basic Real Analysis
Survey of Algebra
Advanced Calculus
Partial Differential Equations

Is a "math methods for physical sciences" course available? You'll want to pick up things like contour integration and Fourier integrals somewhere. If time is limited, you could skip the algebra course without much loss. Real analysis is useful for developing "mathematical maturity", but is not essential.

Doesn't PDE cover the topics you mentioned?

Btw, how much chemistry should you know? I'm not completely illiterate on chemistry subjects, but I haven't taken a single chemistry in course in college.

"Physics is the only real science. The rest are just stamp collecting."
-- Ernest Rutherford

knowledge of chemistry isn't required for a lot of physics - and the bits where it is you normally need a deeper knowledge than you would get in chem101

inknit said:
Btw, how much chemistry should you know? I'm not completely illiterate on chemistry subjects, but I haven't taken a single chemistry in course in college.

The best proxy for this type of thing is just see what your university requires/recommends for its physics students. Chances are, these requirements are fairly uniform across the board, so there cannot be too much difference between one university to another. After all, the physics major exists primarily to prepare students for PhD programs, so I should think they know best what mathematics courses (or chemistry, biology, computer programming, or whatever else) are needed to succeed. Just look at your course website and stop worrying.

Related to How much math do you need for graduate study in physics?

1. How much math is required for graduate study in physics?

The amount of math required for graduate study in physics can vary depending on the specific program and focus of the research. However, in general, a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary. Some programs may also require knowledge of complex analysis, group theory, and partial differential equations.

2. Can I be successful in graduate physics without a strong math background?

While a strong math background is essential for success in graduate physics, it is possible to catch up on necessary math skills during your studies. Many programs offer remedial courses or workshops to help students strengthen their math skills. It is important to have a willingness to learn and put in the extra effort to catch up if your math background is not as strong as you would like it to be.

3. Do I need to have taken advanced math courses in high school to study physics in graduate school?

While having a strong foundation in math from high school can be beneficial, it is not a requirement for graduate study in physics. The important thing is to have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. If you did not take advanced math courses in high school, it is important to catch up on these fundamentals before starting graduate studies.

4. Are there certain math topics that are more important for physics graduate study?

As mentioned before, a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary for graduate study in physics. However, depending on your research focus, you may also need to have knowledge of other math topics such as complex analysis, group theory, and partial differential equations. It is best to consult with your program or potential research advisor to determine which specific math topics will be most important for your studies.

5. How can I improve my math skills for graduate study in physics?

If you are concerned about your math skills for graduate study in physics, there are several ways to improve. You can take additional math courses or workshops, use online resources and practice problems, and seek help from tutors or fellow students. It is also important to have a strong understanding of how math is used in physics and to practice solving physics problems using math. Practice and persistence are key to improving your math skills for graduate study in physics.