How much heat is required to convert ice into steam?

In summary, to convert an ice cube of volume 12.1 cm3 at a temperature of -18.1°C to steam, we use the equations Q = m*c*deltaT, Q = m*Lf, and Q = m*Lv. After finding the mass of the ice cube using the density of 9.17 kg/cm^3, we plug it into the equations and add the resulting Q values together. However, it is important to double check units and values for density and latent heat, and ensure that all units are in the MKS system.
theskyisgreen

Homework Statement

An ice cube of volume 12.1 cm3 is initially at a temperature of -18.1°C. How much heat is required to convert this ice cube into steam?
(the final answer must be in Joules)

Homework Equations

Q = m*c*deltaT
Q = m*Lf (latent heat of fusion)
Q = m*Lv (latent heat of vaporization)
density = m/v

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I was only given the volume of the ice cube, I decided to use density = mass/volume to find the mass of the ice cube. Since the final answer must be in joules, I used the density of 9.17 kg/cm^3 as the density, and found the mass to be 1109570.

I then plugged in that mass into
Q = (1109570) (2090 J/kg°C the c of ice) (18.1) to convert ice to water
Q = (1109570) (4180 J/kg°C the c of water) (100) to convert water to steam
Q = (1109570) (334000 J - the Lf of water)
Q = (1109570) (2200000 J - Lv of water)

I added all the Qs together and found the final answer to be 5.09e14, which is incorrect.
Finding the correct units was a bit tricky so I may have done something wrong there.
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is correct.

Double check the units and value for the density of ice. Recall the density of water is about 1 gr per cubic cm, so the density of ice should be slightly less than that.

Also, you've mixed units in the Lf and Lv for water. It looks like you might have switched from "cal / g degree' to 'J / g degree'. Don't forget to also change the g to kg.

Make sure everything is in the same units - m, kg, and J are all MKS units, so stick with those.

Related to How much heat is required to convert ice into steam?

1. How is heat measured in this process?

Heat is typically measured in units of joules (J) or calories (cal) in this process.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of ice and steam?

The specific heat capacity of ice is 2.108 J/g·°C and the specific heat capacity of steam is 2.010 J/g·°C.

3. How much heat is required to raise the temperature of ice to its melting point?

The amount of heat required to raise the temperature of ice from 0°C to its melting point of 0°C is known as the latent heat of fusion and is equal to 333.55 J/g.

4. How much heat is required to convert ice at its melting point to water at its boiling point?

The amount of heat required to convert ice at its melting point to water at its boiling point is known as the latent heat of vaporization and is equal to 2,260 J/g.

5. What is the total amount of heat required to convert ice to steam?

The total amount of heat required to convert ice to steam is equal to the sum of the heat required to raise the temperature of ice to its melting point, the heat required for melting, and the heat required for vaporization. This is known as the enthalpy of fusion and vaporization and is equal to 2,593.55 J/g.