How Much Heat Is Needed to Melt Ice and Warm It to 30°C?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of $50.0$g of H$_2$O ice at $0.00^{\circ}$C to $30.0^{\circ}$C. The speaker suggests converting the ice to water and then heating the water, which would result in a heat of $5500$ cal. However, the book's answer is $1500$ cal, which does not take into account the conversion of ice to water. The conversation ends with the realization that this could be an oversight from the book.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Here's the problem.

How much heat is required to raise the temperature of $50.0$g of H$_2$O ice at $0.00^{\circ}$C to $30.0^{\circ}$C? Assume an average $1.00 \text{ cal/g}^{\circ}$C specific heat for water in this temperature range.

Since he said ice I assumed all $50.0$g is ice and therefore you need to both convert the ice to water than then heat the water. This amounts to

$$Q = mL + mc \Delta T = 50 \cdot 80 + 50 \cdot 1 \cdot 30 = 5500 \text{ cal}.$$

However the book answer is $1500$ cal, which I disagree. This is the amount of heat necessary to heat the water, but not to turn all ice to water.

Am I wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, the book is not converting the ice to water, right? If you just do the $m c \Delta T$ bit, you get the book's answer.

I would definitely have approached it the way you did, because I'm not sure I can conceive of a block of ice at $30^{\circ}\text{C}$. I suppose you could prove the book wrong if, in a vacuum (best-case scenario), heating the block of ice to $30^{\circ}\text{C}$ would have to melt it. It is true that the heat required to melt is considerably more than the heat required to raise the temperature. Still, my intuition is strongly on your side.

I'm guessing this is just an oversight from the book. He even labeled the exercise as Latent Heat. These things happen. :)

Fantini said:
I'm guessing this is just an oversight from the book. He even labeled the exercise as Latent Heat. These things happen. :)

So it looks like an example what would happen if you do not take latent heat into account. (Wink)

I would like to clarify that your approach is correct. The book answer seems to be incorrect as it only takes into account the heat required to raise the temperature of the water, but not the heat required to melt the ice first. The correct answer should be 5500 cal, as you have calculated. It is important to consider both the heat of fusion and the specific heat when calculating the total heat required to change ice to water and then raise its temperature.

Related to How Much Heat Is Needed to Melt Ice and Warm It to 30°C?

1. How much heat is required to change ice into water?

The amount of heat required to change ice into water is known as the heat of fusion and is approximately 334 joules per gram. This means that it takes 334 joules of heat to melt one gram of ice at 0°C.

2. Why is heat required to change ice into water?

Ice is a solid state of water and in order for it to change into its liquid state, the molecules must gain energy in the form of heat. This energy breaks the bonds holding the molecules together and allows them to move freely, resulting in liquid water.

3. Does the amount of heat required to change ice vary with temperature?

Yes, the amount of heat required to change ice into water varies with temperature. The heat of fusion for water, 334 joules per gram, is only accurate at 0°C. At other temperatures, the heat required may be higher or lower.

4. How does pressure affect the heat required to change ice into water?

In general, increasing pressure will decrease the temperature at which ice melts, and therefore decrease the heat required to change it into water. This is because at higher pressures, the molecules are more tightly packed and it takes less energy to break the bonds between them.

5. What happens to the heat required to change ice into water if impurities are present?

The presence of impurities, such as salt or dirt, can lower the melting point of ice and therefore decrease the heat required to change it into water. This is because the impurities disrupt the crystal structure of ice and prevent the bonds from forming as strongly, making it easier to melt the ice.