How Much Force to Hold a Fire Hose Delivering Water at High Speed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of the continuity equation and Bernoulli equation to determine the force required to hold a fire hose delivering a certain amount of water through a nozzle. It is suggested to use the change of impulse of a small mass of water to calculate the force instead.
aishjay
1. A fire hose exerts a force on the person holding it. This is because the water accelerates as it goes from the hose through the nozzle. How much force is required to hold a 7.5 cm diameter hose delivering 470 L/min through a 0.80 cm diameter nozzle?

Homework Equations

I think we need to use the continuity eqn: A1V1 = A2V2 = Q
and the Bernoulli eqn: P + (rho)gh + 1/2 (rho)v^2 = constant

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the continuity equation, I found the velocities in the nozzle and in the hose
V1 (in nozzle) = 38.97 m/s
V2 (in hose) = 1.77 m/s

Then I used the bernoulli equation to solve for the pressure in the hose.
P1 = P2 + 1/2 (rho)[(v2)^2-(v1)^2]
with P2 = 1.0*10^5 Pa
P1 = 857830.4646 Pa

Then I said P = F/A
F = PA = 857830.4646 Pa(Area of hose)
F = 3789.8 N

But this is the wrong answer - I wonder if my logic itself is faulty?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried using the change of impulse of a small mass dm of water instead? This change of impulse should be equal to the force the brave fire fighter is using to hold the nozzle.

Your calculations and approach seem correct, but there may be some errors in your calculations or assumptions. It would be helpful to double check your units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct values for density and gravity in the Bernoulli equation. It may also be helpful to look at the problem from a different perspective, such as using the force equation F = ma to find the force required to accelerate the water from the hose to the nozzle.

Related to How Much Force to Hold a Fire Hose Delivering Water at High Speed?

1. What is the "Water Hose Force Problem"?

The "Water Hose Force Problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the force exerted by a water hose on a person or object it is directed at. It is commonly used to demonstrate the principles of force and fluid mechanics.

2. How is the force of a water hose calculated?

The force of a water hose can be calculated using the formula F = Δp/Δt, where F is the force, Δp is the change in momentum, and Δt is the change in time. This formula is based on Newton's second law of motion.

3. What factors affect the force of a water hose?

The force of a water hose can be affected by several factors, including the water pressure, the diameter of the hose, and the angle at which the water is being sprayed. Other factors such as wind resistance and gravity may also play a role.

4. How does the force of a water hose impact the person or object it is directed at?

The force of a water hose can cause the person or object it is directed at to experience a change in momentum, which may result in movement or displacement. The force can also cause damage or injury, depending on the strength and direction of the spray.

5. How can the force of a water hose be controlled or adjusted?

The force of a water hose can be controlled by adjusting the water pressure or changing the diameter of the hose. The angle at which the water is sprayed can also be adjusted to change the direction and force of the spray. Additionally, using different nozzles or attachments on the hose can also alter the force of the water.