Bernoulli's Equation and fire hose

In summary, to shoot water to the top of a 35.0 m tall building, a fire hose with a steady flow rate of 0.500 m3/s must have a nozzle with a maximum diameter of approximately 0.19 m. If the only available nozzle has a diameter twice as great, the water can reach a height of approximately 25.0 m. This can be calculated using Bernoulli's equation and solving for the required velocity, which is approximately 26.2 m/s.
ChemIsHard
A fire hose must be able to shoot water to the top of a building 35.0 m tall when aimed straight up. Water enters this hose at a steady rate of 0.500 m3/s and shoots out of a round nozzle.

i) What is the maximum diameter this nozzle can have?

ii) If the only nozzle available has a diameter twice as great, what is the highest point the water can reach?

I know that Flow rate=0.500 m3/s=A*V. I know the pressure needed to obtain this height from P=35*9.8*1000=3.43X10^5 Pa.

I know I should be applying Bernoulli's equation but I'm stuck. Any pointers are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just had an idea.

P+1/2PV^2+Pgh=pgh+1/2pv^2+P

We can cross out both p's since they're both exposed to atmosphere. The first equation has no potential while the second has no kinetic.

1/2pv^2=pgh

v=root(2g(35m))
v=26.2 m/s

0.5=26.2*Pi(r^2)

Calculate for r then times by two for maximum diameter. Then just recalculate using the previous equation with 2r.

Looks good?

Hello! You are on the right track by applying Bernoulli's equation in this situation. I would like to provide some guidance to help you solve this problem.

First, let's review Bernoulli's equation, which states that the total energy of a fluid flowing through a pipe is constant. This can be expressed as:

P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + 1/2ρv2^2 + ρgh2

Where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity, and h is the height.

Now, let's apply this equation to the problem at hand. We know that the water is entering the hose at a steady rate of 0.500 m3/s and shooting out of a round nozzle. This means that the area of the nozzle (A) is the same as the area of the hose where the water is entering. We can then rewrite the equation as:

P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 + ρgh1 = P2 + 1/2ρv2^2 + ρgh2

Since the water is shooting straight up, the velocity at the entrance of the nozzle (v1) is zero. This means that the first term on the left side of the equation (P1 + 1/2ρv1^2) becomes simply P1. We can also assume that the pressure outside of the hose (P2) is atmospheric pressure, which we can approximate as 101,325 Pa. With these simplifications, our equation becomes:

P1 + ρgh1 = 101,325 + 1/2ρv2^2 + ρgh2

We know that the pressure needed to reach a height of 35.0 m is 3.43x10^5 Pa, so we can substitute this value for P1 and solve for v2. This gives us a velocity of 24.5 m/s at the exit of the nozzle.

Now, let's move on to the first part of the question. We are looking for the maximum diameter that the nozzle can have in order to reach a height of 35.0 m. To do this, we can use the equation for the flow rate (Q = Av) and substitute in the velocity we just calculated (v2 =

Related to Bernoulli's Equation and fire hose

1. What is Bernoulli's Equation and how does it relate to fire hose?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a fluid flow. It states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This principle is important in understanding the operation of a fire hose, as the high velocity of water flowing through the hose results in a decrease in pressure, allowing for the water to be sprayed at high speeds.

2. How does the diameter of a fire hose affect the pressure and velocity of the water?

The diameter of a fire hose plays a significant role in the pressure and velocity of the water. According to Bernoulli's Equation, as the diameter of the hose decreases, the velocity of the water increases, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This is why fire hoses have a wide diameter, as it allows for the water to be sprayed at high speeds without losing too much pressure.

3. Can Bernoulli's Equation be used to calculate the pressure and velocity of water coming out of a fire hose?

Yes, Bernoulli's Equation can be used to calculate the pressure and velocity of water coming out of a fire hose. However, it is important to note that this equation is a simplified model and may not account for all the factors that can affect the water flow, such as friction and turbulence.

4. How does the angle at which a fire hose is held affect the water flow?

The angle at which a fire hose is held can affect the water flow in two ways. Firstly, if the hose is held at a high angle, the water will have a longer distance to travel before hitting the ground, resulting in a decrease in pressure. Secondly, the angle can also affect the direction of the water flow, as the force of gravity will pull the water down towards the ground.

5. What other factors can affect the water flow from a fire hose besides Bernoulli's Equation?

Other factors that can affect the water flow from a fire hose include the water pressure at the source, the length and material of the hose, and any obstructions or kinks in the hose that can disrupt the flow. Additionally, wind and external forces can also impact the direction and flow of the water from a fire hose.