How Much Force is Needed to Move a Block Against Friction and Gravity?

• Thread starter mslena79
  • Start date
In summary: So you would have:\frac{W}{cos(\Theta\degree)-\mu_{s}sin(\Theta\degree)}=F_{n}This would give you the normal force at the minimum force required to start the block moving up the wall. Hope this helps!
mslena79
1. There is a block parallel and touching a vertical wall, a force F is applied at a 40 deg. angle from -x,-y. the weight of the block is 88.9N. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the wall is 0.560.
a) what is the minimum force F required to prevent the block from sliding down the wall?
b) what is the minimum force F required to start the block moving up the wall?

Homework Equations

3.a) Fs(max)=(0.560)(88.9N)=49.8N
Fy=88.9N-49.8N=39.1N
Fx=(39.1N)/(cos(40))=51.0N
[tex]\sqrt{39.1^2+51.0^2}[/tex]=F
F=64.3N

b) 88.9N +49.8 N=138.7N=Fy
Fx=(138.7N)/(cos(40))=181.06N
[tex]\sqrt{138.7^2+181.06^2}[/tex]=F
F=228N

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be more specific...

I saw an error on your equations. The friction equation is defined as F[tex]_{sf}[/tex]=[tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex]*N.

N is the normal force of the surface. In your case is the Normal force from the wall and you used the weight of the box. You should use as N the x component of the force F you should apply.

Try again knowing this fact.

Note: Superscript should be underscript.

a)88.9N*tan(40)=74.6N=Fn
Fy=88.9N
Fs=(0.560)*(74.6N)=41.8N
88.9N-41.8N=47.1N
[tex]\sqrt{47.1^2+74.6^2}[/tex]=88.2N
F=88.2N

mslena79 said:
a)88.9N*tan(40)=74.6N=Fn
Fy=88.9N
Fs=(0.560)*(74.6N)=41.8N
88.9N-41.8N=47.1N
[tex]\sqrt{47.1^2+74.6^2}[/tex]=88.2N
F=88.2N

Are you guessing?

Here, the least force applied to prevent motion is when friction vector is pointing upward.
Write both of your equations, [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\vec{F}[/tex]=0 x and y.

Solve equations simultaneously. You unknowns are N and F and you have two equations.

I don't understand.

mslena79 said:
I don't understand.

Due to my english? It can't be that bad.

No, I think I am having trouble because I am not sure where to place the applied force vector on my free body diagram. I have fs pointing +y, mg -y, Fn=-x, F 40 deg. in the (-x,-y)quadrant.

mslena79 said:
No, I think I am having trouble because I am not sure where to place the applied force vector on my free body diagram. I have fs pointing +y, mg -y, Fn=-x, F 40 deg. in the (-x,-y)quadrant.

Ahh. That's they way it's suppose to be. Now you make use the following equations

[tex]\sum Fx=0[/tex]

[tex]-Fn+F*cos(40)=0[/tex]

Note: I assumed the angle given is the angle between the force and the x axis, otherwise you should use sin

[tex]\sum Fy=0[/tex]

[tex]Fs-m*g+F*sin(40)=0 [/tex] [tex]Fs=\mu s*Fn[/tex] so first equation for Fn you should have:

[tex] Fn=F*cos(40)[/tex] and you substitute this equation on the [tex]\sum Fy=0[/tex] equation:

[tex]F*cos(40)-m*g+F*sin(40)=0[/tex] and then [tex]F=\frac{m*g}{cos(40)+sin(40)}[/tex]

;-)

Last edited:
I recently came across this question while looking for solutions to mine (which was essentially the same thing). After solving it, I thought that I'd come back and add on to the solution, in case there were still some questions or somebody else is in need of assistance.

Fcos(x)-w+usFn=0 and Fsin(x)-Fn=0

After simplifying the two equations that, together, find the solution to the problem, one ends up with:

[tex]\frac{W}{cos(\Theta\degree)+\mu_{s}sin(\Theta\degree)}=F_{n}[/tex]

where Theta is the angle measurement, Mu is the coefficient, and W is the weight (or force).

Likewise, for the second part, simply subtract the second term in the denominator rather than adding, because the frictional force is in the opposite direction.

Related to How Much Force is Needed to Move a Block Against Friction and Gravity?

1. What is equilibrium?

Equilibrium refers to a state of balance or stability in a system. In terms of physics, it is the state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no movement or acceleration.

2. How is equilibrium related to friction?

Friction is one of the forces that can act on an object and affect its equilibrium. Friction can either help maintain equilibrium by preventing sliding or cause an object to lose equilibrium by creating an opposing force.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium of an object?

The equilibrium of an object can be affected by several factors, such as the distribution of weight, the magnitude and direction of forces acting on the object, and the surface conditions (such as friction) between the object and its surroundings.

4. How do you calculate equilibrium?

To calculate equilibrium, you need to consider all the forces acting on an object and determine if they are balanced or not. If they are balanced, the object is in equilibrium, and you can use the equations of static equilibrium to solve for unknown forces or distances.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium and friction?

Some real-life examples of equilibrium and friction include a book resting on a table (equilibrium between the downward force of gravity and the upward force of the table), a car driving on a road (equilibrium between the engine's forward force and the friction force between the tires and the road), and a person sitting on a chair (equilibrium between the downward force of gravity and the upward force of the chair).