How Much Force Does a Golf Club Apply to a Ball?

• Thread starter PhysicFailure
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Work
In summary, the golf ball is hit with a force that causes it to accelerate to 42 m/s over a distance of 0.030 m. The work done on the ball is 39.69 J and the average force applied by the club is determined by using the equation F=ma, where a is the average acceleration of the ball.
PhysicFailure

Homework Statement

When a 0.045 kg golf ball takes off after being hit, its speed is 42 m/s.
(a) How much work is done on the ball by the club?

---> 39.69 J
(b) Assume that the force of the golf club acts parallel to the motion of the ball and that the club is in contact with the ball for a distance of 0.030 m. Ignore the weight of the ball and determine the average force applied to the ball by the club.

Homework Equations

WNCF= [tex]\DeltaMETOTAL[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a I did this and got the correct answer in Joules: 0.5(0.045kg)(422

I am confused at what to do in the next part. I did the same attempt but confused when I am told to ignore the weight of the ball...

Physics news on Phys.org
2. Homework Equations

Wncf= [tex]\Delta[/tex]MEtotal

PhysicFailure said:

Homework Statement

When a 0.045 kg golf ball takes off after being hit, its speed is 42 m/s.
(a) How much work is done on the ball by the club?

---> 39.69 J
(b) Assume that the force of the golf club acts parallel to the motion of the ball and that the club is in contact with the ball for a distance of 0.030 m. Ignore the weight of the ball and determine the average force applied to the ball by the club.

Homework Equations

WNCF= [tex]\DeltaMETOTAL[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a I did this and got the correct answer in Joules: 0.5(0.045kg)(422

I am confused at what to do in the next part. I did the same attempt but confused when I am told to ignore the weight of the ball...

Okay: the kinetic energy of the ball changed from 0 to (1/2) mv2. That energy had to come from somewhere- the work done on it.

Now do you know that when on object accelerates from 0 with constant (or average) acceleration a to t seconds it reachs speed a*t and goes a distance (1/2)at2. You know that the ball accelerated to 42 m/s while going 0.30m. That gives two equations in a and t. Once know a, the average acceleration, F= ma gives the average force.

Related to How Much Force Does a Golf Club Apply to a Ball?

1. What is work?

Work is defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another by applying a force over a distance. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance traveled.

2. What is force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is calculated by multiplying mass by acceleration.

3. How is work related to force?

Work and force are closely related as work is the product of force and distance. In order for work to be done, a force must be applied to an object and cause it to move a certain distance.

4. How do I calculate work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F * d, where W is work, F is the applied force, and d is the distance traveled by the object. Make sure to use consistent units (such as Newtons and meters) when plugging in values.

5. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The unit of measurement for work is joules (J). One joule is equal to one Newton-meter (Nm). This unit can also be expressed as kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg*m^2/s^2).