Finding Velocity of Golf Club After Impact with Ball

In summary: I think the ball's vertical velocity is 11.25.In summary, the clubhead speed towards the target is 23.29 m/s.
x2017

Homework Statement

Just prior to impact with a golf ball (0.042 kg), a clubhead (0.195 kg) is traveling with a velocity of 33.7 m/s horizontally towards the target and a vertical velocity of 0 m/s. The coefficient of restitution between the ball and club is 0.79. Impact lasts for 0.00043 s. The launch angle of the ball after impact is 13.1°. During impact the ball behaves as a linear spring with a stiffness of, K= 1182019, and is maximally compressed from its resting state by Δx = 0.01 m.

What is the velocity of the club, towards the target (in the typical horizontal X direction), immediately after impact?

I'm stuck on this one and I need to know how to do this one in order to do the last four questions on my bonus assignment. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Homework Equations

v'={M[V(1+e)-ev]+mv}/M+m

The Attempt at a Solution

v'={0.042[0(1+0.79)-(0.79)(33.7)]+(0.195)(33.7)}/(0.042+0.195)
v'=23.01 (incorrect)

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about coefficient of restitution? (The tricky part is stating the relevant velocities accurately.)

haruspex said:
What do you know about coefficient of restitution? (The tricky part is stating the relevant velocities accurately.)

e=v'/v

OR
e=(V'-v')/(V-v)

I know the golf ball is at rest at the beginning, but the club is not so I am inclined to think I use the second version. so:

e=(V'-v')/(V-v)
0.79=(V'-v')/(V-v)

x2017 said:
e=v'/v

OR
e=(V'-v')/(V-v)

I know the golf ball is at rest at the beginning, but the club is not so I am inclined to think I use the second version. so:

e=(V'-v')/(V-v)
0.79=(V'-v')/(V-v)
As I posted, the tricky part is specifying the velocities correctly in that equation. This is not a simple head on collision. The ball moves off in a different direction from the club's prior velocity. Precisely what velocities should you plug into the equation?

haruspex said:
As I posted, the tricky part is specifying the velocities correctly in that equation. This is not a simple head on collision. The ball moves off in a different direction from the club's prior velocity. Precisely what velocities should you plug into the equation?

Should I get the x and y components of the club head's velocity?

x2017 said:
Should I get the x and y components of the club head's velocity?
It depends what you mean by x and y. You are told that the club head is moving horizontally prior to impact. What does the angle of the ball's flight from the impact tell you about the face of the club?

IMG_0131.jpg

This is what I picture happening when I read the question...
Perhaps the club head is angled? Or the club begins moving upward at an angle of 13.1 degrees before it hits the ball?

x2017 said:
View attachment 96122

This is what I picture happening when I read the question...
Perhaps the club head is angled? Or the club begins moving upward at an angle of 13.1 degrees before it hits the ball?
It does not move upward. According to the given information it moves horizontally before impact.

Hint: Use conservation of momentum.

haruspex said:
It depends what you mean by x and y. You are told that the club head is moving horizontally prior to impact. What does the angle of the ball's flight from the impact tell you about the face of the club?

SammyS said:
It does not move upward. According to the given information it moves horizontally before impact.

Hint: Use conservation of momentum.

MV+mv=MV'+mv'
(MV+mv-mv')/M=V'
(0.195)(33.7)+(0.042)(0)-(0.042)(48.34)/0.195=V'
23.29m/s=V'

This is the horizontal velocity of the golf ball (didn't show the work because it was calculated in a previous question on my assignment).

I was very confused about how to get v', a classmate helped me out with that bit.

Thank you both for your help!

Last edited:

Homework Statement

Just prior to impact with a golf ball (0.042 kg), a clubhead (0.195 kg) is traveling with a velocity of 33.7 m/s horizontally towards the target and a vertical velocity of 0 m/s. The coefficient of restitution between the ball and club is 0.79. Impact lasts for 0.00043 s. The launch angle of the ball after impact is 13.1°. During impact the ball behaves as a linear spring with a stiffness of, K= 1182019, and is maximally compressed from its resting state by Δx = 0.01 m.

What was the average force, exerted in the target (x, horizontal) direction, on the ball by the clubhead during the time of impact?

Homework Equations

F=ma
MV+mv=MV'+mv'
ΣFΔt=mΔv
F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

We're currently doing momentum/impacts/collisions/projectiles in lecture, but my professor hasn't mentioned anything about k or Hooke's Law yet. I kiiiind of remember it from high school physics and googled a bit about it and found the equation above.

First I tried this:
F=kx
F=(1182019)(0.01)
F=118201.9

Which turned out to be incorrect so I tried this:
ΣFΔt=mΔv
ΣF=(mΔv)/Δt
ΣF=[(0.195)(33.7)]/0.00043
ΣF=15282.56

Which ended up also being incorrect so I tried this:
F=ma
F=m(Δv/Δt)
F=(0.195)(33.7/0.00043)
F=15282.56

Which is also incorrect...
I have the following from previous questions:
  • the speed of the ball immediately after impact=49.63
  • velocity of the ball, towards the target (in the typical horizontal X direction), immediately after impact=48.34
  • the vertical velocity of the ball immediately after impact=11.25
  • the velocity of the club, towards the target (in the typical horizontal X direction), immediately after impact=23.29
  • vertical velocity of the clubhead immediately after impact=-2.42

Never mind I got it!

ΣFΔt=mΔv
ΣF=(mΔv)/Δt
ΣF=[(0.195)(33.7-23.29)]/0.00043
ΣF=4720.81

Forgot to use the change in velocities... Silly mistake on my part!

I am curious however if there is a way to do this using the k value? I didn't have to use it at all for any of the parts of this question... Wondering if maybe my professor just gave it to us to throw us off?

x2017 said:
This is the horizontal velocity of the golf ball (didn't show the work because it was calculated in a previous question on my assignment).
Had I known you already had the golf ball velocity I would not have banged on about the coefficient of restitution. However, I disagree with your answer for that. I get 48.34m/s for the speed of the golf ball, not just its horizontal component. The horizontal component would be 47.1.

x2017 said:
I am curious however if there is a way to do this using the k value? I didn't have to use it at all for any of the parts of this question... Wondering if maybe my professor just gave it to us to throw us off?
The trouble with the k value is that it is only the same during compression and decompression for an ideal spring. Since the coefficient of restitution of the club+ball is less than 1, we cannot tell if it is ideal.
Assuming the given k value applies to decompression, the energy equation gives a ball speed of 53.05m/s. At the other extreme, we can suppose k applies to compression and all losses are in the non-ideal nature of the ball, so multiply by 0.79 to get 41.91m/s.

How did you find the velocity of the golf club in the y direction?

x2015 said:
How did you find the velocity of the golf club in the y direction?
Before or after impact?

Related to Finding Velocity of Golf Club After Impact with Ball

1. What is velocity after impact?

Velocity after impact refers to the speed at which an object is moving immediately after it has collided with another object.

2. How is velocity after impact calculated?

Velocity after impact is calculated using the conservation of momentum equation, which takes into account the masses and velocities of both objects before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the velocity after impact?

The velocity after impact is affected by the masses and velocities of the colliding objects, as well as the angle and elasticity of the collision.

4. Why is it important to calculate velocity after impact?

Calculating velocity after impact is important in understanding the outcome of a collision and predicting potential damage or movement of objects involved.

5. Can velocity after impact be greater than the initial velocity?

Yes, in some cases, the velocity after impact can be greater than the initial velocity if there is a significant difference in mass or if the collision is at an angle.