How much force did a dropped can of beer exert on my foot from 3.5 feet?

In summary, the person's thread was deleted because a moderator thought it was homework. They are asking for help with a problem concerning a 500ml can of beer that fell on their foot from a height of 3.5 feet. They are experiencing pain in their lower leg and are wondering about the weight of the can. They have no physics background and are seeking assistance.
zipee
OK so my thread got deleted cos moderator thought it was homework! So can any of you guys help??

I dropped a 500ml unopened can of beer on my foot yesterday from a height of about 3.5feet. Does anyone know what weight it would have been? Apart from a sore bruised foot I also have pain on and off in lower leg and will go to doctor if it persists but would have like to know what weight it was.

It was fierce sore and I almost vomitted with pain at the time. Walking on it ok but certain movements really turn my tummy.

Thanks in advance and it is not homework but distress so please be patient with me and reply. I have no physics background at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
oops! Effort to solve my problem.....

Beer can times height dropped = severe pain.

?

Your question is not clear. The weight of the can is a constant and has nothing to do with from how high it was dropped or how fast it was going. You could, using "conservation" of energy with mgh= (1/2)mv^2, calculate the speed with which it hits your foot. But the force your foot applies to the can- the force it feels the can applying to it, depends upon how long the can takes to stop. And that depends on the resiliency of your foot.

1. What is the weight from a certain height?

The weight from a certain height refers to the force exerted by an object due to gravity at a specific distance above the Earth's surface. This force is measured in units of mass, such as kilograms or pounds, and is influenced by the mass and distance of the object from the Earth.

2. How does height affect weight?

The higher an object is from the Earth's surface, the lower its weight will be. This is because the force of gravity decreases as distance from the Earth's center increases. For every doubling of distance from the Earth, the force of gravity is reduced by a factor of four. Therefore, the weight from a certain height will be less than the weight at a lower height.

3. Does weight change at different heights on Earth?

Yes, weight does change at different heights on Earth. This is because the Earth's gravitational pull is not uniform across its surface. Factors such as altitude, latitude, and the composition of the Earth's crust can all affect the strength of gravity and therefore, the weight an object will have at a certain height.

4. How is weight from a height calculated?

The weight from a height is calculated using the formula W = mg, where W is weight, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula takes into account the mass of the object and the strength of gravity at that specific height to determine the weight of the object.

5. Can weight from a height be negative?

No, weight from a height cannot be negative. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object, and gravity is always a positive force. However, the direction of the force can be negative if the object is falling or accelerating downwards due to gravity. In this case, the weight would be a negative value, but the magnitude of the weight would still be positive.