How Much Would I Weigh if I Dropped onto a Scale from 10 Feet in a Vacuum?

• Thread starter Mmats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary: IIn summary, the conversation discusses the question of how much a person would weigh if they were to land on a scale from a certain height, taking into consideration the force exerted by the ground and the spring constant of the scale. The equation for solving this problem is also mentioned, but it is noted that it may be difficult to come up with an accurate estimate without knowing additional factors such as the number of springs in the scale and their spring constants.
Mmats
Im trying to find out how much i would weigh (in pounds) if I were to land on a scale from a 10 foot drop, in a vacuum of course. Does anyone know the equation that would solve this? I know the scale would level back out to my original weight, but I want the weight it would initially display.

Physics news on Phys.org
try finding your momentum when youve reached your final velocity

It depends on how fast you decelerate when you hit the ground.

russ_watters said:
It depends on how fast you decelerate when you hit the ground.

I would round it off to instantly, no? Just imagine my legs being perfectly straight as i hit the ground..

Mmats said:
I would round it off to instantly, no? Just imagine my legs being perfectly straight as i hit the ground..

Thing is, when you lose momentum like this, you exert what is called an impulse, or force * time. If you decelerate instantly, that means you exert an infinitely large force for an infinitely small period of time.

3.048m/s * 68.04kg = 207.38 kg m/s

so the scale would read 207.38kg?

No. Notice that your units don't match...

Mmats said:
3.048m/s * 68.04kg = 207.38 kg m/s

If it takes you one second to slow to a stop, the average force that the ground exerts on you is 207.38 N. If it takes 0.1 second, the average force is 2073.8 N. If it takes 0.01 second, the average force is 20738 N. And so forth.

i guess its a lot more complicated than i thought it would be, actually it seems somewhat impossible to even come up with even a good estimate. thanks for all the help anyways

A physics book could present such a problem and include the number of springs in the scale and the spring constants of each spring...

Mmats said:
Im trying to find out how much i would weigh (in pounds) if I were to land on a scale from a 10 foot drop, in a vacuum of course. Does anyone know the equation that would solve this? I know the scale would level back out to my original weight, but I want the weight it would initially display.
You would need to know the spring constant of the scale, then use:

[tex]mgh = \frac{1}{2}k(\Delta x)^2[/tex]

where [itex]\Delta x[/itex] is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position when you are just standing on it. This gives:

[tex]\Delta x = \sqrt{2mgh/k}[/tex]

You would then add mg/k (the spring extension due to your weight when just standing on it) to that to find the maximum displacement.

So:

[tex]F = k\Delta x + mg = \sqrt{2mghk} + mg[/tex]

The higher the spring k, the higher the force.

AM

Related to How Much Would I Weigh if I Dropped onto a Scale from 10 Feet in a Vacuum?

1. What is the formula for converting from Newtons to pounds of force?

The formula for converting from Newtons to pounds of force is: 1 Newton = 0.224808943 pounds of force.

2. How do I convert from kilograms to pounds of force?

To convert from kilograms to pounds of force, you can use the formula: 1 kilogram = 2.20462262 pounds of force.

3. Is there a simple way to convert from dynes to pounds of force?

Yes, there is a simple way to convert from dynes to pounds of force. The formula is: 1 dyne = 0.00000224809 pounds of force.

4. Can I use an online calculator to easily convert between units of force?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can easily convert between units of force, including Newtons, pounds of force, dynes, and more.

5. Why is it important to understand the conversion between units of force?

It is important to understand the conversion between units of force because it allows for clear communication and accurate measurements in scientific experiments and engineering projects. It also allows for easy comparison between different units and systems of measurement.