How much energy is needed to place 4 positive charges

In summary, the conversation was about two problems involving the placement of positive charges at the vertices of a square and calculating the potential at each empty vertex. For problem 1, the formula PE = kQQ/r was used and the total potential energy was calculated by adding the values for each side and diagonal. For problem 2, the focus was on assembling the charges one at a time and calculating the potential at the remaining empty vertices at each step. It was clarified that the diagonal pairs should be treated as having the same distance as the side pairs. The correct interpretation for problem 2 was also discussed, which was to calculate the potential at each empty corner without adding them together.
shashaeee
Can someone just confirm if I'm doing these two problems correctly ...

1. How much energy is needed to place 4 positive charges, each of magnitude +5mC, at the vertices of a square of side 2.5cm

2. Choose one way of assembling the charges and calculate the potential at each empty vertex as this set of charges is assembled.

For #1, I used the formula PE = kQQ/r

PE = 9.0 x 106J

and because there are 6 sets (4 sides and 2 diagonals) with similar lengths and charges, I added the PE values together, giving me a total of PET = 5.4 X 107J

For #2, I'm not sure what exactly its asking me to do, but I used the formula V = kQ/r

For the r, I used Pythagoreom Theorom to find the distance to the middle

V = 2.55 x 109V

and I'm not really sure, but there are 4 sets this time?

So Total Potential = VA1+VA2+VA3+VA4?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, shashaeee.

For problem 1, did you treat the "diagonal" pairs as having the same distance r as the "side" pairs?

For problem 2, it appears to me that you want to think of assembling the square one charge at a time and at each step calculate the potential at the remaining empty vertices. So, suppose you started by placing one charge at the upper left corner of the square. You would then have 3 empty vertices. So, you should calculate the potential at each of those three empty vertices. Then suppose you add the second charge at the upper right corner. You would be left with 2 empty vertices. So, calculate the potential at those 2 empty vertices, and so on.

Oh, no I didn't! Thank you!

So for #2 ... basically ...

If my box was arranged as

1 _____3
|
|
2 _____ 4

V1 = V2+V3+V4

V12 = V3+V4

V123 = V4

My interpretation of #2 is just to calculate the potential at each empty corner, but don't add them together. So, when charge 1 is in place, you'll calculate V2, V3, and V4. When charges 1 and 2 are in place, you'll calculate new values for V3 and V4. When charges 1, 2 and 3 are in place, then you'll recalculate V4.

At least that's my reading of the problem. Hope I'm not misinterpreting it.

Your calculations for the first problem seem correct. The potential energy of each individual charge is 9.0 x 10^6 J, and since there are 4 charges, the total potential energy would be 36.0 x 10^6 J.

For the second problem, it seems like you are being asked to calculate the potential at each empty vertex as the 4 charges are being assembled. This can be done by using the formula V = kQ/r, where Q is the total charge at each vertex (since the other charges are being assembled), and r is the distance between the charge and the vertex. So for example, as the first charge is being placed at one vertex, the potential at that vertex would be V = (9.0 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(5mC)/(2.5cm). The potential at each empty vertex would be the sum of the potentials from all 4 charges. So for the second vertex, it would be V = (9.0 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2)(10mC)/(2.5cm). And so on for the remaining vertices.

Related to How much energy is needed to place 4 positive charges

1. How is energy related to positive charges?

The concept of energy is closely related to positive charges in an electric field. Positive charges have potential energy, which is the energy that is stored in an object due to its position or configuration. The amount of energy needed to place 4 positive charges depends on the electric field strength and the distance between the charges.

2. What is the formula for calculating the energy needed to place 4 positive charges?

The energy needed to place 4 positive charges can be calculated using the formula: E = kq1q2/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them. This formula is known as the Coulomb's Law.

3. Does the energy needed to place 4 positive charges depend on their location?

Yes, the energy needed to place 4 positive charges depends on their location in the electric field. The closer the charges are to each other, the higher the energy needed to place them. Similarly, the stronger the electric field, the more energy is required to place the charges.

4. What units are used to measure the energy needed to place 4 positive charges?

The energy needed to place 4 positive charges is typically measured in joules (J) in the SI system. In some cases, electron volts (eV) may also be used to measure energy in the context of electric charges.

5. Is the energy needed to place 4 positive charges a constant value?

No, the energy needed to place 4 positive charges is not a constant value. It depends on various factors such as the strength of the electric field, the distance between the charges, and the magnitude of the charges. Therefore, the energy needed to place 4 positive charges can vary in different situations.