How much does air volume change with temperature?

In summary, the displacement piston moves up and down as the temperature changes through a range of 100 degrees F.
gary350
If I have a closed cylinder with a fixed air volume inside and a piston on the open end I need to calculate how much the piston will move as the temperature changes through a range of 100 degrees F?

Air volume vs temperature?

Science news on Phys.org
Is there some kind of resistance to the piston moving out from the outset? Outside air pressure at the same temperature?

Presumably you're saying the piston is free to move but presently is not moving, implying that the pressure on either side of the piston is the same. When you raise the temperature inside the cylinder the pressure will increase which will move the cylinder until the pressure inside is once again equal to the outside.

You need to use the ideal gas law: PV = nRT. This should give you a good approximation of how much the volume will expand, since you can assume the pressure before and after the temperature change are both going to be equal to the ambient (atmospheric?) pressure. Remember to use the correct value of R depending on the units you use; 0.08206 if you're using liters and amtomspheres; 8.314 if you're using pascals and cubic meters.

You will need to solve for n (moles of 'air molecules') using the initial state of your system before solving for the final volume.

Oh and don't forget that the temperature must be converted to absolute temperature in Kelvins.

Let us assume that air is an ideal gas.
We can use $V1/T1=V2/T2$ we have $deltaT=T2-T1$

I build 3 hot air engines by copying an existing 2" bore engine. Engine is very low power there can be no piston friction or it will not run. Piston diameter is 1.9985" and bore diameter is 2.0000". The piston has .020" grooves around the diameter 1/8" apart. I can not remember the scientific name for the grooves but they act like zero fiction piston rings. Piston is light weight aluminum and cylinder is cast iron. Start the engine at room temperature the 2 metals have a different expansion rate clearance is .0015" at room temperature and .0005" when the engine is hot about 500 degrees F. The engine runs 500 RPMs with the blade and 900 to 1200 RPMs with no blade. See attached youtube videosThis is the original 1917 Al-Cool Fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56D56rQV-Q

This is a copy of the original FAN it runs 450 RPMS. The base is a zinc sand casting of a salad bowl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBXcn4u4es

This is a Gear Drive engine it runs 450 RPMs with the fan blade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpRl5eF3fc

This is a factory engine it runs 900 to 1200 RPMs real easy with no fan blade.

Micromike said:
Let us assume that air is an ideal gas.
We can use $V1/T1=V2/T2$ we have $deltaT=T2-T1$

Actually yeah, that's a lot more straightforward than what I said.

Likes Micromike
I took engineering in college 50 years ago I have forgotten more than I every knew. I remember learning about Ideal gas Law but I don't remember PV=nRT? What is P, What is V, what is n, what is R, what is T. You know the saying, if you don't use it you loose it. A lot of what I learned in college I never used at work. I took math every semester in college only math class I did not take was, imaginary numbers. I have forgotten so much math its not funny.

P is pressure, V is volume, n is number of moles of molecules, R is the universal gas constant, T is temperature. That said, easier way to solve the problem you proposed would actually be Charles' law like Micromike said; V1/T1 = V2/T2.

So the ratio of initial and final temperature would give you the ratio of initial and final volumes; T2/T1 = V2/V1 or V2 = (V1T2)/T1

Since you're using a ratio you shouldn't need to convert temperature to Kelvins... I think. I would just to be safe though

Likes Micromike
I don't know pressure and no way to measure it?

I can calculate volume.

Don't now n?

Don't know R?

I can measure temperature to a point plus or minus maybe 100 degrees.

This 1 cylinder has 2 pistons. The piston in the center of the cylinder does not tough the sides or top of bottom. There is a space of about 1/16" all the way round the displacer piston. When the displacer piston is up all the air is at the hot end of the cylinder about 600 degrees. Hot air expands pushing the power piston up. When displacer piston is at the bottom of the cylinder all the air is at the top COLD end of the cylinder where it cools contracts and sucks the power piston down. This is a 1 cycle beta stirling engine. After the engine runs for several minutes the top of the cylinder gets hot too I am guessing maybe 300 or 400 degrees. Once the engine is warmed up there is a temperature difference from bottom to top of maybe 200 or 300 degrees. Maybe I need to buy a laser thermometer to check both ends for exact temperature while the engine runs. Next engine I want a larger diameter piston and air or water cooling for the top. I put air cooling on 1 engine already it runs better. I did a few manual test pushing the displacer piston up/down by hand and measuring how much the power piston moves I am not getting accurate measurements.

Without knowing the temperature involved with more accurate increments than 100 degrees you can't really say how much the air will expand. If the outside of the piston is exposed to the open air, then the pressure is atmospheric pressure, about 100,000 Pa or 1 atm, give or take a little. Increasing the temperature of the air inside would increase the volume according to either of the two equations posted above.

If I understand you correctly, you have a temperature gradient from one end of the cylinder to the other. In a relatively small (i.e. not huge) cylinder it's hard to imagine why air at one end would be drastically different from air at the other end. Perhaps the metal at each end has different temperature, but the gas inside the cylinder would move around very quickly to equalize any considerable temperature or pressure difference.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something, perhaps a diagram of the inside of the cylinder would help? I'm not terribly familiar with stirling engines.

Daniel Sellers said:
Since you're using a ratio you shouldn't need to convert temperature to Kelvins...
You need the temperature expressed on an absolute scale. e.g. Kelvin or Rankine. Not Celsius or Fahrenheit.

The air in the engine is going through a cycle controlled by the motions of two pistons with a roughly 90 phase angle between them and by the effects of heat addition and extraction .

The volume of the contained air at particular point in the cycle of an engine of known geometry only depends on the positions of the pistons .

To work out the details of pressure variations in the engine you need to analyse the complete engine .

Start by getting to understand the theoretical thermodynamic cycle for a Stirling engine .

Last edited:
Last edited:
i’m going on a gut feeling here, but i’m going to say .87 cents, that’s with all previous assumptions but only getting it there and not sustaining it

Here is a video that shows how a stirling hot air engine works. I am pretty sure air expands at a stead rate like other things. A 12" long steel rod will expand about .001" of an inch it temperature changes about 10 degrees F. Brass and aluminum expand at a different rate. Since air is a gas the volume changes, volume of a steel rods changes too but it is solid material. If air temperature increases 10 degrees volume should increase at a certain amount let's assume it increases 1%, then a heat increase of 100 degrees will make air volume increase 10%, and a heat increase of 200 degrees will make volume increase 20%.

See the video.

What percentage does air volume change with a temperature change of 100 degrees F.

Depends what percentage 100°F is of the original temperature.

70 degrees to 170 degrees

So convert to absolute temperature (e.g., Kelvins) and use the Ideal Gas Law.

I have just learned the .020" x .020" grooves in the piston that act like piston rings is called, Labyrinth seals. But after looking it up online this is wrong.

Related to How much does air volume change with temperature?

1. How does temperature affect the volume of air?

The volume of air increases as temperature increases and decreases as temperature decreases. This is because air molecules gain more kinetic energy at higher temperatures, causing them to move faster and spread out, thus increasing the volume of air. On the other hand, at lower temperatures, air molecules lose kinetic energy and move slower, resulting in a decrease in volume.

2. Is there a specific formula to calculate the change in air volume with temperature?

Yes, there is a formula known as the Ideal Gas Law that relates the volume, temperature, and pressure of a gas. It is expressed as V1/T1 = V2/T2, where V1 and T1 are the initial volume and temperature, and V2 and T2 are the final volume and temperature. This formula assumes that the gas behaves ideally, meaning there are no intermolecular forces or volume occupied by the gas molecules themselves.

3. How much does air volume change with a change in temperature?

The change in air volume with a change in temperature depends on the initial temperature and the temperature change. For example, if the initial temperature is 20°C and the temperature increases by 10°C, the air volume will increase by approximately 5%. However, if the initial temperature is 0°C and the temperature increases by the same amount, the air volume will increase by approximately 11%.

4. Does the change in air volume with temperature have any real-world applications?

Yes, understanding the relationship between air volume and temperature is crucial in many fields such as meteorology, aviation, and engineering. For instance, changes in air volume due to temperature can affect the performance of an aircraft's engines and wings. It can also impact the measurement of atmospheric pressure and the prediction of weather patterns.

5. Can the change in air volume with temperature be reversed?

Yes, the change in air volume with temperature can be reversed by decreasing or increasing the temperature. For example, if the air volume increases due to a rise in temperature, it will decrease if the temperature is lowered back to its initial value. This phenomenon is demonstrated in hot air balloons, where heating the air inside the balloon with a burner causes it to expand and become less dense than the surrounding air, resulting in the balloon's rise.