How much does a steel measuring tape expand on a hot day?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 61.00m long steel measuring tape calibrated for use at 20.0∘C and the calculation of its length under different conditions, specifically on a hot day with a temperature of 38∘C. The formula used is ΔL/L=αΔT and the solution is found to be incorrect, but it is determined that the formula gives the change in length rather than the actual length. After realizing this, the correct calculation is made and the issue is resolved.
nickb145

Homework Statement

A 61.00m long steel measuring tape is calibrated for use at 20.0∘C. How long is this tape under the following conditions:

a hot day with 38∘C?
Express your answer using four decimal places and include the appropriate units.
i've been losing my mind over this, i swear I'm doing it correctly.

Homework Equations

ΔL/L=αΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

(38-20)=18°C

(61m)(1.2*10-5)(18)= .01317m

Mastering physics keeps telling me that I'm inncorrrect , I swear I'm doing it how the book wants me to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
nickb145 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

(38-20)=18°C

Is this the length of the tape or the change in the length of the tape?

it is the change in L

Last edited:
nickb145 said:
(38-20)=18°C

Mastering physics keeps telling me that I'm inncorrrect , I swear I'm doing it how the book wants me to do it.

nickb145 said:
it is the change in L

Does it make sense that a 61 meter long steel tape shrunk to about 1.3 cm in length?

obviously not.

nickb145 said:
obviously not.

So. What is it that your formula is giving you?

the amount the metal is changing in length. Silly me, i didn't add it together

nickb145 said:
the amount the metal is changing in length. Silly me, i didn't add it together

Huzzah! :smile:

Related to How much does a steel measuring tape expand on a hot day?

What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of matter to change in shape, area, and volume in response to a change in temperature.

How does thermal expansion occur?

When matter is heated, its particles gain more energy and move more vigorously, causing them to take up more space and expand.

Why is thermal expansion important?

Thermal expansion is important because it affects many aspects of our daily lives, such as the construction of buildings and roads, the operation of engines and machines, and the accuracy of scientific instruments.

What are some examples of thermal expansion?

Some examples of thermal expansion include the expansion of metal bridges on hot days, the cracking of glass when exposed to extreme temperature changes, and the inflation of car tires when heated during driving.

How is thermal expansion measured?

Thermal expansion is typically measured using a coefficient of thermal expansion, which is the amount of expansion per unit length or volume per unit temperature change. This value varies for different materials and is usually expressed in units of length per degree Celsius or Kelvin (ΔL/L/°C or ΔL/L/K).