How Can I Calculate the Coefficient of Thermal Expansion for a Material?

In summary, to find the coefficient of thermal expansion for the material of the rod, you need to take into account the thermal expansion of both the rod and the steel ruler. By using the change in length of the rod and the ruler at the heated temperature, and knowing the original length of the rod, you can calculate the thermal expansion coefficient for the material of the rod using the formula: change in length = rod length * coefficient of linear expansion * change in temperature (C).
satchmo05

Homework Statement

At 20°C, a rod is exactly 21.03 cm long on a steel ruler. Both the rod and the ruler are placed in an oven at 270°C, where the rod now measures 21.26 cm on the same ruler. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for the material of which the rod is made? The linear expansion coefficient of steel is 11 x 10-6 /C°.

Homework Equations

change in length = rod length * coefficient of linear expansion * change in temperature (C)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find out the thermal expansion of the rod, but how does the coefficient of steel go into that equation?! I cannot figure it out. Here is my attempt:

0.0023m = 0.2103 * coefficient of linear expansion * 250
Therefore, the coefficient of linear expansion is about 4.4e-5, but that answer is wrong. Please help! Thanks in advance to all help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The steel ruler also expands so the change in length of the rod isn't simply 0.23cm

so what would the equation look like then? thanks for the help! much appreciated!

You have the correct equation
change in length = rod length * coefficient of linear expansion * change in temperature (C)

The only extra complexity is that you have to calculate the increase in length of the steel ruler (using the same equation) and then use that to work out the real increase in length of the rod. Then use the same equation to work out the expansivity of the rod.

You could also use the difference in exapansivity between rod and steel but you are more likely to make a mistake that way

so do i add them together? i don't quite understand what you mean...

to calculate the change in length of the steel, i just calculate:

0.2103m * 11e-6 * 250 degrees celsius = change in length of the steel

+

0.0023m / (0.2103m * 250 degrees celsius) = coefficient of linear expansion of the rod

= what my answer should be?!? Please let me know ASAP! Thanks again for the help!

satchmo05 said:
so do i add them together? i don't quite understand what you mean...

to calculate the change in length of the steel, i just calculate:

0.2103m * 11e-6 * 250 degrees celsius = change in length of the steel

+

0.0023m / (0.2103m * 250 degrees celsius) = coefficient of linear expansion of the rod

= what my answer should be?!? Please let me know ASAP! Thanks again for the help!

You start out with both being cold. You have the measurement on the ruler. When both are heated the ruler gradations expand by the coefficient of thermal expansion, which distorts the measurement at the higher temperature. So ...

Take the measurement you get from the hot ruler and recognize that in "cold" terms this measurement represents what that measure has expanded to. In your case, then your original Rod measures .2103. And on the hot ruler they say it measures .2126. So that means .2126 cold + its thermal expansion should be what the heated rod measures in terms of a "cold" measure.

Length of rod = .2126*(1 + 250*11*10-6)

Knowing the amount then that the rod has changed in length from the original should allow you to now calculate the thermal expansion coefficient.

Related to How Can I Calculate the Coefficient of Thermal Expansion for a Material?

1. What is thermal expansion?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of a material to change in shape, area, and volume in response to a change in temperature.

2. How does thermal expansion occur?

When a material is heated, its molecules start to vibrate and move farther apart, causing the material to expand. Conversely, when a material is cooled, its molecules move closer together, causing the material to contract.

3. What factors affect thermal expansion?

The amount of thermal expansion that occurs in a material depends on its coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE), which is a measure of how much a material will expand or contract for a given change in temperature. Other factors that can affect thermal expansion include the material's composition, structure, and density.

4. Why is thermal expansion a problem?

Thermal expansion can cause structural damage, warping, and other issues in buildings, bridges, and other structures. It can also cause problems in machines and equipment, such as pipes, where the expansion and contraction can create stress and potentially lead to leaks or failures.

5. How is thermal expansion managed or controlled?

Thermal expansion can be managed through careful design and material selection, using materials with lower CTE values, and incorporating expansion joints or other mechanisms to allow for movement. In some cases, heating or cooling systems may also be used to control the temperature of a material and minimize its expansion or contraction.