How Much Current Should Flow Through My Electromagnet Experiment?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem with an electromagnet and found that they needed to use more wire to create more resistance. They used a power source of two D batteries and found that the internal resistance of the battery would be more than the copper resistance.
lekh2003
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
I am working on a lab report regarding the creation of an electromagnet using an iron core solenoid (just a nail wrapped with copper insulated wire). Before continuing with the creation of the electromagnet, I had to answer some questions regarding my knowledge of electromagnets.

One of those questions is asking how much current would be flowing through the electromagnet.

I know that the voltage is 3 volts, I am probably going to use about 0.5 meters of enameled 24 AWG copper wire.

Homework Equations

V = IR

R = ρL/A

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at this problem was simple. I thought that the only resistance would be the copper wire. To find the current, I used the equation:

I = (VA)/(ρL)

The problem I really had was that my value for current was close 300 A. I was worried to continue with the experiment knowing that 300 A are going through the wire. Am I missing something here? Is there some resistance I am not taking into account? Should I be using more wire?

I think the solution is to use much much more wire to create more resistance (maybe 5 m?), I just wanted to check if I'm right.

Physics news on Phys.org
lekh2003 said:
Is there some resistance I am not taking into account?
What power source are you using? Dry cells?
You should consider the internal resistance of the cell. It would be more than the copper resistance.

Likes Asymptotic
cnh1995 said:
What power source are you using? Dry cells?
You should consider the internal resistance of the cell. It would be more than the copper resistance.

I'm using two D batteries in a generic D battery holder. How much internal resistance would a D battery have? (The battery is unused)

lekh2003 said:
I was worried to continue with the experiment knowing that 300 A are going through the wire. Am I missing something here? Is there some resistance I am not taking into account? Should I be using more wire?
You won't be able to keep the current flowing for long if it is a few amperes (forget 300A). The battery will quickly discharge. I believe these batteries are supposed to be used with electronic circuitry, where the current is of the order of a few mA.

Likes lekh2003
cnh1995 said:
You won't be able to keep the current flowing for long if it is a few amperes (forget 300A). The battery will quickly discharge. I believe these batteries are supposed to be used with electronic circuitry, where the current is of the order of a few mA.

I get it now, I can reason that the initial current calculation is not a representation of the entire experiment. I have done my calculations accounting for internal resistance and have gotten 14 A, which I can expect to decrease with time to an order of mA.

Thanks

Related to How Much Current Should Flow Through My Electromagnet Experiment?

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a metal core. When an electric current passes through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that can be used to produce motion or force.

What is resistance in a solenoid?

Resistance in a solenoid refers to the opposition of the flow of electric current through the coil. It is caused by the friction between the electrons and the wire, and it can affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid.

How is resistance measured in a solenoid?

The resistance in a solenoid can be measured using an ohmmeter. The ohmmeter measures the voltage across the solenoid and the current passing through it, and then uses Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the resistance.

What factors affect the resistance of a solenoid?

The resistance of a solenoid can be affected by various factors such as the length and thickness of the wire, the material of the wire, and the temperature of the solenoid. As the length and thickness of the wire increase, the resistance also increases. Different materials have different resistivities, which can affect the resistance. And as the temperature increases, the resistance of the wire also increases.

How can resistance in a solenoid be reduced?

Resistance in a solenoid can be reduced by using a thicker wire with a lower resistivity, keeping the solenoid at a lower temperature, and using a higher voltage to overcome the resistance. Additionally, using a ferromagnetic core can increase the magnetic field strength and compensate for any loss due to resistance.