How much current does the elevator consume?

In summary, the energy conversion efficiency of the elevator is 80%. The elevator is powered by 220 volts and is constantly lifting a 500 kg cabin at a speed of 2 m/s. To find the current consumed by the electro motor, the power needs to be calculated using the formula P=F*v. Knowing the velocity, the force can be found using F=m(g+a). However, since the acceleration is 0, the force is simply equal to the weight of the cabin (500 kg * 9.81 m/s2 = 4905 N). The power is then calculated to be 9810 watts, and taking into account the efficiency, the total power consumed is 12262.5 watts. Dividing this
AlexPilk
Homework Statement

Energy conversion efficiency of the elevator is 80%, it is working from 220 volts. How much current does the electro motor consume while it is constantly lifting the 500 kg cabin at 2 m/s.

The attempt at a solution

I=P/U, so I figured I need to know the power. P=F*v. I know the velocity (2 m/s) so I need the force.
F=m(g+a). Now this looks simple but for some reason I'm stuck. The acceleration = 0, so F must = mg?
If so - F=500*9.81=4905. (I suppose kilograms and m/s shouldn't be converted to anything).
P=9810W. If the efficiency is 80% - the whole power consumed is 9810/0.8=12262.5W.
And then I=12262.5/220=55.7 amps.
I'm not sure if it's too much or too little for an elevator, so I'm not really sure if I solved it correctly.
What do you think? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
AlexPilk said:
Homework Statement

Energy conversion efficiency of the elevator is 80%, it is working from 220 volts. How much current does the electro motor consume while it is constantly lifting the 500 kg cabin at 2 m/s.

The attempt at a solution

I=P/U, so I figured I need to know the power. P=F*v. I know the velocity (2 m/s) so I need the force.
F=m(g+a). Now this looks simple but for some reason I'm stuck. The acceleration = 0, so F must = mg?
If so - F=500*9.81=4905. (I suppose kilograms and m/s shouldn't be converted to anything).
P=9810W. If the efficiency is 80% - the whole power consumed is 9810/0.8=12262.5W.
And then I=12262.5/220=55.7 amps.
I'm not sure if it's too much or too little for an elevator, so I'm not really sure if I solved it correctly.
What do you think? Thanks!
You're somewhat careless with units.

W = mg has units of kg-m/s2, which are otherwise known as Newtons. Energy has units of Newton-meters, and a power of 1 N-m/s is known as a watt. You should learn the definitions of these derived units in SI.

Related to How much current does the elevator consume?

1. How is the current consumption of an elevator measured?

The current consumption of an elevator is typically measured in amperes (A) or milliamperes (mA) using an ammeter or multimeter.

2. What factors affect the amount of current an elevator consumes?

The amount of current an elevator consumes is affected by several factors, including the weight of the elevator car and its contents, the speed and frequency of use, and the efficiency of the elevator's motor and control system.

3. Does the type of elevator affect its current consumption?

Yes, the type of elevator can affect its current consumption. For example, hydraulic elevators tend to consume more current than traction elevators due to the energy required to pump hydraulic fluid.

4. How much current does an elevator typically consume?

The amount of current an elevator consumes can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above. On average, a modern elevator may consume anywhere from 10-50 amps, but this can be significantly higher for larger or less efficient elevators.

5. Can the current consumption of an elevator be reduced?

Yes, the current consumption of an elevator can be reduced through various methods such as installing energy-efficient motors, using regenerative braking systems, and implementing smart control systems to optimize the elevator's energy usage. Regular maintenance and modernization can also help reduce the current consumption of older elevators.