Force and Power Required to Lift an Elevator Car

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the power output of a motor based on given equations and values for force, velocity, and mass. It is determined that the force required to produce upward acceleration is 32.95, which when multiplied by the velocity of 3.0 m/s gives a power output of 98.8 kW.
Lori
upload_2017-11-7_19-52-15.png

Homework Equations

P = W*V
Fnet = ma
V = 3.0 m/s
W = 29.9[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i got this wrong, but I want you to check if my answer is right :(

Heres what i did:

So,

P = force * velocity
P =force*3.0 m/s

force = force due to gravity + acceleration (net force) is F = ma = 29.9??

P = (29.9*3) = 89.6 kW

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-7_19-52-15.png
    upload_2017-11-7_19-52-15.png
    33.4 KB · Views: 734
Physics news on Phys.org
Lori said:
force = force due to gravity + acceleration
Yes
Lori said:
= 29.9??
Isn't that just the given mg?

haruspex said:
Yes

Isn't that just the given mg?
Yeah! That's why I'm unsure of my answer :*(

Lori said:
Yeah! That's why I'm unsure of my answer :*(
So what additional force is required to produce the acceleration?

haruspex said:
So what additional force is required to produce the acceleration?

Would it be Faddition - 29.9 = m*a where m = 29.9/9.81
so Fadditional = 32.94

Do i use the Fnet to calculate the power or the Fadditional? I think i would have to use P = Fadditional * velocity because I'm trying to find the power of the motor specifically, so the force it should do is Fadditional right? I get the answer 98.8 which is one of the answers!

Lori said:
so Fadditional = 32.94
Not sure how you are defining Faddition there. I intended it to mean the extra force, beyond matching gravity, needed to produce the acceleration. Is that how you are defining it? It does not seem so.
Lori said:
Do i use the Fnet to calculate the power or the Fadditional?
The motor does not understand gravity. All it "understands" are the force it exerts and the speed with which it reels in the cable.

First calculate force required to produce upward acceleration of 1m/s^2 then u can easily calculate power.
Lori said:
so Fadditional = 32.94

Do i use the Fnet to calculate the power or the Fadditional? I think i would have to use P = Fadditional * velocity because I'm trying to find the power of the motor specifically, so the force it should do is Fadditional right? I get the answer 98.8 which is one of the answers!

Abhishek kumar said:
First calculate force required to produce upward acceleration of 1m/s^2 then u can easily calculate power.
The force upwards is 32.95 I found, so if I multiply it by 3 will I get the power output?

Lori said:
The force upwards is 32.95 I found, so if I multiply it by 3 will I get the power output?
Yes.

Y
Lori said:
Yes u had done it

Related to Force and Power Required to Lift an Elevator Car

1. How does the weight of the elevator car affect the force and power required to lift it?

The weight of the elevator car directly affects the force and power required to lift it. The heavier the car, the more force and power will be needed to lift it. This is due to the fact that the force needed to overcome the force of gravity increases with the weight of the car.

2. What role does the counterweight play in the force and power required to lift an elevator car?

The counterweight is essential in reducing the amount of force and power needed to lift an elevator car. It acts as a balance, offsetting the weight of the car and reducing the overall force needed to lift it.

3. Does the speed of the elevator affect the force and power required to lift it?

Yes, the speed of the elevator does affect the force and power required to lift it. The faster the elevator moves, the more force and power is needed to overcome the inertia of the car and accelerate it upwards.

4. How does the elevator's pulley system impact the force and power required to lift the car?

The pulley system of an elevator is designed to reduce the amount of force and power needed to lift the car. By using multiple pulleys, the force is distributed and less power is required to lift the car.

5. Is the force and power required to lift an elevator car constant throughout the entire journey?

No, the force and power required to lift an elevator car is not constant throughout the entire journey. As the elevator moves upwards, the force and power needed to overcome the force of gravity decreases. However, as the elevator reaches its destination and begins to slow down, more force and power is needed to decelerate the car.