How much ahead the front axle does the wheel jet the water that it pick

In summary, the problem involves calculating the distance that a bicycle's front wheel will jet water picked up from a wet road. The solution takes into account the speed of the bicycle, the radius of the wheel, and the angle at which water separates from the wheel. The distance is calculated using equations for time and distance, and the maximum distance is found through differentiation.
mmoadi

Homework Statement

A bicycle with a speed 12 km/h is driving along a leveled wet road. How much ahead the front axle (see picture) does the wheel jet the water that it picks up from the floor?The radius of the wheel is r = 35 cm. Let’s suppose that the drops of water that are separating from the highest point of the wheel are flying the farthest; and we suppose that the drops are not separating from the lower part of the wheel because of the mudguard of the wheel is preventing them. What is the solution for the bicycle without the mudguard under the same condition?

Homework Equations

∆y= y- y_0= v_0t- ½ gt²
∆x= x- x_0= v_0t

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated time:
∆y= y- y_0= v_0y*t- ½ gt²
y_0= 0
v_0y= 0
and I set for y= (-0.7m), because the drop is falling to the ground

y= -½ gt²
t= 0.38 s

Now I calculated the distance:
∆x= x- x_0= v_0x*t
x_0= 0
v_0x= 12 m/s
t= 0.38 s

x= v_0x*t
x= 4.53 m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's 12 km/h, not 12 m/s. You didn't get the part without the mudguard. I think the furthest drops will escape before the highest point.

Yes, I made a typo, it's 12 km/h= 3.33 m/s!

And x= 1.27 m

Thank you very much!

willem2 said:
You didn't get the part without the mudguard. I think the furthest drops will escape before the highest point.

Yeah, I have no idea how to approach this part! Can you give me a hint?

Thanks!

If the water separates at an angle [itex] \phi [/itex] before the highest point, it will be at an altitude of [itex] 2R - R cos(\phi) [/itex], it will have a speed of ... (split in x and y components) and start out at a distance ... behind the front axle.

Once you know that, it's just a 2d projectile problem: find the time of flight, and from that find the distance. The answer will depend on [itex] \phi [/itex] of course, and you need to find the maximum by differentiaton.

Related to How much ahead the front axle does the wheel jet the water that it pick

1. How does the front axle affect the amount of water picked up by the wheel jet?

The front axle plays a crucial role in determining the amount of water picked up by the wheel jet. The distance between the front axle and the wheel jet can impact the angle at which the water hits the wheel, which in turn affects the amount of water picked up. A longer distance between the front axle and wheel jet may result in a more direct hit, leading to a higher amount of water being picked up.

2. How can the distance between the front axle and wheel jet be adjusted?

The distance between the front axle and wheel jet can be adjusted by changing the suspension system of the vehicle. This can be done by altering the height of the suspension or changing the position of the front axle in relation to the wheel jet.

3. Is the amount of water picked up by the wheel jet affected by the speed of the vehicle?

Yes, the speed of the vehicle can impact the amount of water picked up by the wheel jet. A higher speed will result in a stronger force of impact between the water and the wheel, leading to a higher amount of water being picked up.

4. Does the design of the wheel jet affect the amount of water picked up?

Yes, the design of the wheel jet can play a significant role in the amount of water picked up. A more aerodynamic design can create a stronger suction force, allowing for a higher amount of water to be picked up. Additionally, the shape and size of the wheel jet can also impact the angle at which the water hits, affecting the amount of water picked up.

5. How does the terrain affect the amount of water picked up by the wheel jet?

The terrain can have a significant impact on the amount of water picked up by the wheel jet. Uneven or rough terrain can cause the wheel to bounce, resulting in a less direct hit between the water and the wheel. This can lead to a lower amount of water being picked up compared to a smooth and flat terrain.