How many weights of each type are needed at a gym to total 3180 pounds?

• MHB
  • Thread starter bergausstein
  • Start date
Solving for x, we get x=12. Therefore, there are 12 sets of 100-pound weights, 18 sets of 50-pound weights, and 54 sets of 20-pound weights. In summary, the gym has 12 sets of 100-pound weights, 18 sets of 50-pound weights, and 54 sets of 20-pound weights for a total of 3180 pounds.
bergausstein
A gym offers a variety of weights for use by its mem-bers. If there are 6 more 50-pound weights than 100-pound weights and three times as many 20-pound
weights as 50-pound weights, for a total of 3180
pounds, how many of each weight are there?

this is howi solved it,

let
$x=$ # of 100 pound weights
$x+6=$ # of 50 pound weights
$3(x+6)=$ # of 20 pound weights

my equation,

$x+x+6+3(x+6)=3180=2x+3x+24=3180=5x+24=3180$ and then $x=631.2$

there are 631.2 (100 pound weights), 637.2(50 pound weeights), and 1911.6 (20 pound weights)

but my answers didn't make sense. because it's not a whole number. i expect to get a whole number.

can you help me with this. thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You are using the number of weights rather than the weight of each set in your equation. You want:

\(\displaystyle x(100\text{ lb})+(x+6)(50\text{ lb})+3(x+6)(20\text{ lb})=3180\text{ lb}\)

Related to How many weights of each type are needed at a gym to total 3180 pounds?

1. What are word problems (weights)?

Word problems (weights) are mathematical problems that involve finding the weight of an object or group of objects. These problems typically provide information about the weight of one or more objects and ask you to find the weight of another object or group of objects.

2. How do I solve word problems (weights)?

To solve word problems (weights), you first need to read the problem carefully and identify the information given and the information that needs to be found. Then, use the appropriate formula or equation to solve for the unknown weight. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or create a table to organize the given information.

3. What are some common units of measurement used in word problems (weights)?

Some common units of measurement used in word problems (weights) include grams, kilograms, pounds, and ounces. It is important to pay attention to the units given in the problem and make conversions if necessary to ensure that all units are consistent.

4. Are there any tips for solving word problems (weights) more efficiently?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you solve word problems (weights) more efficiently. These include: reading the problem multiple times to fully understand it, creating a diagram or table to organize the information, using logical reasoning to eliminate irrelevant information, and checking your answer to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. Can word problems (weights) be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to solve word problems (weights). Some common methods include using equations, creating ratios, and using proportionality. The most important thing is to choose a method that makes sense to you and allows you to accurately solve the problem.