How many bills of each type are there in a wallet with $\$460$?

• MHB
  • Thread starter bergausstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, the problem involves finding the number of $\$5$, $\$10$, and $\$20$ bills in a wallet that contains a total amount of $\$460$. The number of $\$5$ bills exceeds twice the number of $\$10$ bills by $4$, while the number of $\$20$ bills is 6 fewer than the number of $\$10$ bills. Using two different methods, we can determine that there are $14$ $\$10$ bills, $8$ $\$20$ bills, and $32$ $\$5$ bills. However, a third method using $x$ to represent the number of $\$5$ bills shows that there are actually $35$ $\
bergausstein
A wallet has $\$460$, in $\$5$, $\$10$, and $\$20$ bills. the number of $\$5$ bills exceeds twice the number of $\$10$ bills by $4$, while the number of $\$20$ bills is 6 fewer than the number of $\$10$ bills. how many bills of each type are there?

i solved this problem in two ways by 1st choosing the unknown represent the number of $\$10$ bills and 2nd by choosing the unknown represent the number of $\$20$ bills.

and i got these answers from my two methods, $14$ $\$10$ bills, $8$ $\$20$ bills and $32$ $\$5$ bills.

on my third method i chose the unknown represent the number of $\$5$ bills.
and here how it goes,

let $x=$ number of $\$5$ bills,
$\frac{x}{2}-4=$ number of $\$10$ bills
$\frac{x}{2}-4-6=$ number of $\$20$ bills

$5x+10\left(\frac{x}{2}-4\right)+20\left(\frac{x}{2}-10\right)=460$
$5x+5x-40+10x-200=460$
$20x-240=460$
$20x=700$
then, $x=35$ ---> from here the number of $\$5$ bill is bigger than my previous result. can you pinpoint where is the mistake here? thanks!

p.s use only one variable.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If $x$ is the number of \$5 bills then:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x-4}{2}\) is the number of \$10 bills.

\(\displaystyle \frac{x-16}{2}\) is the number of \$20 bills.

MarkFL said:
If $x$ is the number of \$5 bills then:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x-4}{2}\) is the number of \$10 bills.

\(\displaystyle \frac{x-16}{2}\) is the number of \$20 bills.

if i use that $x=32$ which is the number of $\$5$ bill. thanks!

if some question why did you divide $x-4$ by $2$? in my first method what the number of $\$5$ bill is $2x+4$
that's why i thought of taking the opposite operation so i came up with $\frac{x}{2}-4$.

Last edited:
If $x$ is the number of \$5 bills and $y$ is the number of \$10 bills, then we have:

\(\displaystyle x=2y+4\implies y=\frac{x-4}{2}\)

I think you might have solved this problem already, but just for practice can you show how to get the number of \$20 bills in terms of $x$? MarkFL showed how to get the number of \$10 bills but didn't show all the steps as to how he got $\dfrac{x-16}{2}$ for the number of \$20 bills. Can you show how to get this value? :)

Related to How many bills of each type are there in a wallet with $\$460$?

1. What are money related word problems?

Money related word problems are mathematical problems that involve transactions, budgeting, investments, and other financial scenarios. They often require the use of basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as the ability to interpret and solve word problems.

2. Why are money related word problems important to learn?

Money related word problems are important to learn because they provide practical and relevant examples of how math is used in real life. They also help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for managing personal finances and making informed financial decisions.

3. What are some common strategies for solving money related word problems?

Some common strategies for solving money related word problems include identifying key information, creating a plan or equation, checking for reasonableness, and rounding or estimating. It is also helpful to translate the problem into a mathematical expression or equation and to use diagrams or models to represent the situation.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving money related word problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving money related word problems is to practice regularly. Look for opportunities to solve problems in your daily life, such as calculating discounts or comparing prices. You can also find online resources or workbooks that provide practice problems and solutions. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can also be beneficial.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of money related word problems in the real world?

You can apply your knowledge of money related word problems in the real world by using math to make financial decisions, such as creating a budget, calculating interest on loans or investments, and comparing prices. You can also use your problem-solving skills to analyze and evaluate different financial options and make informed choices that align with your financial goals.