How Many Ways to Distribute Pencils with Constraints?

In summary, the teacher can distribute 25 identical pencils to Ahmed, Barbara, Carlos, and Dieter in 132 different ways, satisfying the given conditions.
blinktx411

Homework Statement

Suppose that a teacher wishes to distribute 25 identical pencils to Ahmed, Bar-
bara, Carlos, and Dieter such that Ahmed and Dieter receive at least one pencil
each, Carlos receives no more than five pencils, and Barbara receives at least four
pencils. In how many ways can such a distribution be made?

Or, in other words, find integer solutions to [tex] x_1 + x_2 +x_3+x_4=25, x_1>0, x_2>0, x_3\le5, x_4\ge4 [/tex]

I think the end result was like 132 or something.

Please let me know if i made any silly errors, but I'm more concerned that I made a fundamental error in the logic of this problem.

Edit: accidently hit some random buttons and it submitted wrong, the please see my other forum post titled "Elementary Combinatorics Q"

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework EquationsThe attempt at a solutionI used stars and bars to solve this problem. First, set up the stars and bars equation: x_1 + x_2 + x_3 + x_4 + y_1 + y_2 + y_3 + y_4=25For the stars and bars equation, you need an equation for each object (x's) and another for the gaps between them (y's). For the x's, since Ahmed and Dieter must receive at least one pencil, the equation is: x_1 + x_2 = 25-x_3-x_4-y_1-y_2-y_3-y_4For Carlos, since he can't receive more than 5 pencils, the equation is: x_3 \le 5For Barbara, since she must receive at least 4 pencils, the equation is: x_4 \ge 4 Since there are no restrictions on the y's, the equation is just: y_1 + y_2 + y_3 + y_4=0 Then I solved the stars and bars equation and got 132 solutions.

Related to How Many Ways to Distribute Pencils with Constraints?

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that studies the ways in which objects can be arranged, selected, or combined. It is often used to solve problems related to counting and probability.

2. What is the difference between permutation and combination?

A permutation is an ordered arrangement of objects, while a combination is an unordered selection of objects. In other words, a permutation considers the order of the objects, while a combination does not.

3. How do I calculate the number of possible combinations?

The formula for calculating combinations is nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the total number of objects and r is the number of objects being selected. For example, if you have 5 different books and can only choose 3 to read, the number of possible combinations would be 5C3 = 5! / (3!(5-3)!) = 10.

4. What is the principle of inclusion-exclusion?

The principle of inclusion-exclusion is a counting technique used to find the number of elements in the union of multiple sets. It states that the number of elements in the union of two or more sets is equal to the sum of the number of elements in each set, minus the number of elements in the intersection of the sets.

5. How is combinatorics used in real life?

Combinatorics has many real-life applications, such as in computer science, genetics, and economics. It can be used to analyze and optimize algorithms, predict genetic outcomes, and calculate probabilities in financial markets.